Partial derivative of an Integral

In summary, the student is trying to find a function that relates u and v, but is not sure how to do it. He is asking for help with an equation that he can use to solve the problem. The equation is:
elliotician

Homework Statement

Show
[tex]
\partial /\partial u \int_{a}^{u} f(x,v) dx = f(u,v)
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically i understand that we hold all other variables constant, and i understand that we will get our answers as a function of u and v. But to show that we have f(u,v) I am not too sure

[tex]
\int_{a}^{u} f(x,v)dx
= g(u,v)- g(a,v)\\
[/tex]

[tex]
\partial /\partial u [g(u,v)- g(a,v)]= g'_{u}(u,v)
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in your formulas, but the dependency on two variables may be obfuscating your intuition. Note that unless v is a function of x, the expression:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial u} \int_{a}^{u} f(x,v) dx[/tex]
is equivalent to the single-variable calculus expression:
[tex]\frac{d}{du} \int_a^u f(x) dx[/tex]
where we have suppressed the dependence of f on v because in this expression v is treated as a constant anyway. From here it is just the fundamental theorem of calculus, as you have applied. To be a little more rigorous, you can let gv(x) = f(x, v) and work on that function instead.

heyy u know about Newton leibnitz formula..?
try to correlate ur prob wid this:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex][tex]\int_g^hf(x,t)dt[/tex] where g=g(x) and h=h(x)
can be evaluated as:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex][tex]\int_g^hf(x,t)dt=[/tex] [tex]\int_g^h \frac{\partial}{\partial x}f(x,t)dt[/tex] [tex]+f(x,h(x)) \frac{d}{dx} h(x) -f(x,g(x)) \frac{d}{dx} g(x)[/tex]
there is a very simple proof to it...which you may do yourself..(as i am a beginer at latex..so I am in no mood to type more of programs..after this programming nightmare today)
that should do it..the thing above is the most general case...
you only have to replace the complete derivative with the partial one..wherever the need arises..
xDD

Last edited:
Thanks both,

I think then if i let gu(x,v) = f(x, v)

Then i will integrate as before to get

[tex]

\partial /\partial u [g(u,v)- g(a,v)]= g_{u}(u,v)

[/tex]

so following on we can say if
gu(x,v) = f(x, v)
then
gu(u,v) = f(u, v)
(since x is the dummy variable)

Would this be correct?

vaibhav1803, The context of the question which i did not state was to help in understanding a particular step in deriving leibniz, so i wanted to avoid actually using leibniz.

i feel liebnitz is easier to do than assuming a new function..anyways
the case i considered as i mentioned is the worst case possible..everytijng being a function..
but for the partial outside differentiate taking x as the only variant
yup x is a dummy variable...only the function affects the integral..thats correct
glad if i cud help

You don't really need all of Leibniz's formula. Since the only depenence on u is the upper limit of integration, it's just the "fundamental theorem of calculus".

Related to Partial derivative of an Integral

1. What is a partial derivative of an integral?

The partial derivative of an integral is a mathematical concept that involves taking the derivative of an integral with respect to one of its variables while treating the other variables as constants. It is used to measure the rate of change of the integral with respect to that variable.

2. Why do we need to take the partial derivative of an integral?

Taking the partial derivative of an integral allows us to analyze how the integral changes when one of its variables changes. This is useful in many fields of science, such as physics, economics, and engineering, where we often need to know how a quantity changes with respect to certain variables.

3. How do you take the partial derivative of an integral?

To take the partial derivative of an integral, we treat all variables except the one we are differentiating with respect to as constants. Then, we use the standard rules of differentiation to find the derivative of the integral with respect to that variable.

4. Can you give an example of taking the partial derivative of an integral?

Sure, consider the integral ∫0x (2t + 3)dt. To find ∂/∂x ∫0x (2t + 3)dt, we treat the variable x as a constant and differentiate the integral with respect to x. This gives us the partial derivative ∂/∂x ∫0x (2t + 3)dt = 2x + 3.

5. In what situations would you use the partial derivative of an integral?

The partial derivative of an integral is commonly used in many applied fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering, to measure the rate of change of a quantity with respect to certain variables. It can also be used in optimization problems, where we need to find the maximum or minimum value of an integral function with respect to certain variables.