Partial derivative of a square root

In summary, the conversation is about using partial derivatives to calculate propagation of error in an equation involving the period of a pendulum. The speaker is unsure if they are taking the correct derivative and asks for clarification. The expert suggests factoring out the constant g before taking the derivative or using the chain rule to account for the extra factor.
peesha
Hi,

I'm using partial derivatives to calculate propagation of error. However, a bit rusty on my calculus.

I'm trying to figure out the partial derivative with respect to L of the equation:

2pi*sqrt(L/g)

(Yep, period of a pendulum). "g" is assumed to have no error. I know I can use the chain rule...

so, 2pi*(L/g)^(1/2) --> 2pi*1/2*(L/g)^(-1/2) , or pi*(L/g)^(-1/2).

I am doing this correctly? Or did I just take the derivative (and not the partial derivative)?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
peesha said:
Hi,

I'm using partial derivatives to calculate propagation of error. However, a bit rusty on my calculus.

I'm trying to figure out the partial derivative with respect to L of the equation:

2pi*sqrt(L/g)

(Yep, period of a pendulum). "g" is assumed to have no error. I know I can use the chain rule...

so, 2pi*(L/g)^(1/2) --> 2pi*1/2*(L/g)^(-1/2) , or pi*(L/g)^(-1/2).

I am doing this correctly? Or did I just take the derivative (and not the partial derivative)?

Thanks!
Partial derivative of what w.r.t. L? You haven't provided an equation, just an expression.

2pi*sqrt(L/g) = T, which is a function of L.

Rewrite as T = 2π*(L/g)1/2. Does that give you any ideas? Remember, g is a constant.

Using the chain rule, I can bring down the 1/2 and subtract 1 from the exponent, so

dL/dT = 1/2*2π*(L/g)-1/2 or dL/dT = π*(L/g)-1/2

Though, now it seems that I'm not treating "g" as a constant.

peesha said:
Using the chain rule, I can bring down the 1/2 and subtract 1 from the exponent, so

Well, factor g out of the square root before taking the derivative.

Technically, you are not using the chain rule. You are using the power rule.

peesha said:

Don't you mean dT/dL? As SteamKing said, you can rewrite the original expression with g outside the square root before you differentiate it. If you don't, you will have to use the chain rule. It tells us that there's an extra factor that you didn't include in the quote above.

Related to Partial derivative of a square root

What is a partial derivative of a square root?

A partial derivative of a square root is a mathematical concept used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant.

How do you find the partial derivative of a square root?

To find the partial derivative of a square root, we first take the derivative of the function inside the square root. Then, we divide it by two times the square root of the original function.

Why is the partial derivative of a square root important?

The partial derivative of a square root is important because it allows us to understand how a function changes with respect to one of its variables while keeping the other variables constant. This can be useful in many fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering.

Can the partial derivative of a square root be negative?

Yes, the partial derivative of a square root can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing with respect to the variable being considered.

What is the difference between a partial derivative and a regular derivative?

A partial derivative calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant. A regular derivative, on the other hand, calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to its only variable. In other words, a regular derivative considers all variables as independent, while a partial derivative treats some variables as constants.