Partial derivative; is the function differentiable

In summary, the problem involves proving differentiability using equations and converting to polar coordinates. The attempt at a solution involves using the theorem and expressing the function in terms of x and y, but the inclusion of sine makes it difficult to find the appropriate values for ε1 and ε2.
Throwback

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/907375/Untitled.jpg

Homework Equations

Δz = f(a + Δx, b + Δy) - f(a, b)

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/907375/Untitled2.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

f_x(0,0)=lim(h->0)=0
f_y(0,0)=lim(h->0)=0
f(x,mx)=lim(h->0)=0
f(x,x)=lim(h->0)=0
f(x,0)=lim(h->0)=0
f(0,y)=lim(h->0)=0

This is apparently not enough. I have to also use the above equations to prove it's differentiable, but the only way I can think to express it in the above form is to convert to polar coordinates. That apparently requires some additional proof, which I'm unsure how to approach.

Converting to polar coordinates results in the following:

r^2*sin(1/r^2), but I'm unsure what else I have to do to account for switching to polar coordinates. Apparently it's easier to leave it is its original form (as a function of x and y) and use the above theorem, so here's that attempt:

((a+Δx)2+(a+Δy)2)sin(1/((a+Δx)2+(a+Δy)2))-(a2+b2)sin(1/(a2+b2))

((a+Δx)2sin(1/((a+Δx)2+(a+Δy)2))+(a+Δy)2sin(1/((a+Δx)2+(a+Δy)2)))-(a2sin(1/(a2+b2))+b2sin(1/(a2+b2)))

a2sin(1/((a+Δx)2+(a+Δy)2))+2a(Δx)sin(1/((a+Δx)2+(a+Δy)2))+(Δx)2sin(1/((a+Δx)2+(a+Δy)2))+a2sin(1/((a+Δx)2+(a+Δy)2))+2a(Δy)sin(1/((a+Δx)2+(a+Δy)2))+(Δy)2sin(1/((a+Δx)2+(a+Δy)2))-a2sin(1/(a2+b2)-b2sin(1/(a2+b2))

And now, thanks to that the sine part of the function, I'm lost. If it was simply sine of some constant, I'd be able to express ε1 and ε2, but because it's too a function of x and y, I'm pretty stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't even know if this is the correct approach, but I feel like it should be since the theorem requires a function of two variables and that's what I have.

Related to Partial derivative; is the function differentiable

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ (partial) symbol and is used in multivariable calculus.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A partial derivative is different from a regular derivative because it calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to only one variable, while holding all other variables constant. A regular derivative, on the other hand, calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable without any constraints on other variables.

3. What is the purpose of using partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used to analyze how a function changes in response to changes in specific variables. They are particularly useful in multivariable calculus when dealing with functions that have more than one independent variable.

4. What is differentiability in terms of partial derivatives?

A function is considered differentiable if all of its partial derivatives exist at a given point. This means that the function is smooth and has a well-defined rate of change in all directions at that point. If even one partial derivative does not exist, the function is not differentiable at that point.

5. How can I determine if a function is differentiable?

To determine if a function is differentiable, you can take the partial derivatives with respect to each variable and see if they exist at a given point. If all partial derivatives exist, then the function is differentiable at that point. Additionally, you can also use the definition of differentiability, which states that a function is differentiable if the limit of the difference quotient exists as the change in the independent variable approaches zero.