Partial derivative, I'm not sure if my solution is right

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the partial derivatives for the function f(x,y) = sin|y| and addresses the issue of rewriting the |y| when defining domains. It is concluded that the given solution is correct and that the function is continuous and differentiable at y = 0.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Well, it looks simple, but I'm not sure If the answer I'm giving is right.

The function is:

[tex]f(x,y)=\sin|y|[/tex]
And it asks for the partial derivatives, so:

[tex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=0[/tex]

And
[tex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}=\begin{Bmatrix}{ \cos|y|}&\mbox{ if }& y>0\\\not{\exists & \mbox{if}& y=0\\-\cos|y| & \mbox{if}& y<0\end{matrix}[/tex]

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you are defining the domains like that, you do not need to rewrite the |y|. But if y=0, then f(x,y)=0 so that ∂f/∂y = 0.

"But if y=0, then f(x,y)=0 so that ∂f/∂y = 0."

No. think about [itex] f(x) = |x| [/itex] from ordinary calculus. it is true [itex] f(0) = 0 [/itex] but remember f is not differentiable @ x = 0; similar situation in the case given by the OP

Its continuous but not differentiable at that point.

The absolute value function is continuous at x =0: is your partial derivative continuous in y at y = 0?

Yes, it is. It can be demonstrated that Lim f(x,y)->(0,0)=f(0,0). So, what you say, the solution I've given is right?

yes indeed - i switched my "thinking" to the partial in my previous comment.

Thanks.

Related to Partial derivative, I'm not sure if my solution is right

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in calculus to determine the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. How do I know if my solution to a partial derivative problem is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can plug in the values of the variables into your partial derivative equation and see if it matches the original function. You can also take the second partial derivative to confirm your answer.

3. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a regular derivative?

A regular derivative calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable, while a partial derivative calculates the rate of change with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant.

4. Can I use the chain rule to find a partial derivative?

Yes, you can use the chain rule to find a partial derivative. However, you will need to hold all other variables constant and only differentiate with respect to the variable of interest.

5. What are some real-world applications of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives have numerous applications in fields such as economics, physics, engineering, and more. They can be used to optimize functions, calculate rates of change in multi-variable systems, and predict future outcomes based on current data.