Parametric Tangent Problem driving me insane

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of the tangent to a curve at a given point by two methods: without eliminating the parameter and by first eliminating the parameter. The book's answer for the equation is y = -2x + 3, but the person is having trouble understanding how to get it. They attempt to solve it using the derivative formula and substituting in the given point, but encounter difficulties. They eventually realize they need to use the other real square root in their calculation, which leads to the correct equation.
Andrusko

Homework Statement

[tex] x = e^{t} , y = (t-1)^{2} , (1,1) [/tex]
Find an equation of the tangent to the curve at a given point by two methods. Without eliminating the parameter and by first eliminating the parameter.

The answer in the book says [tex] y = -2x + 3 [/tex] and I cannot see how you get it.

So I can't do it either way.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = 2(t-1)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = e^{t}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{2(t-1)}{e^{t}}[/tex]

okay so now I need to substitute in (1,1)

Rearranging x and y in terms of t does no good:

[tex]x = e^{t}[/tex]

so[tex] t = lnx ...(1)[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{y} = t - 1[/tex]

so [tex]t = \sqrt{y} + 1 ... (2)[/tex]

At point (1,1):

t = 0 by equation (1)

t = 2 by equation (2)

So which t to use?

Lets try a different approach:

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{2(\sqrt{y} + 1 - 1)}{e^{lnx}}[/tex]

so [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{2\sqrt{y}}{x}[/tex]

Substituting (1,1)

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = 2 = m[/tex]

so [tex]y - y_{1} = m(x - x_{1})[/tex]

[tex]y = 2x - 1[/tex]

I really can't see what I'm doing wrong. Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrusko said:
[tex] t = lnx ...(1)[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{y} = t - 1[/tex]

so [tex]t = \sqrt{y} + 1 ... (2)[/tex]

At point (1,1):

t = 0 by equation (1)

t = 2 by equation (2)

So which t to use?

Remember every positive number has two real square roots. Try using the other one.

Ah of course. That sorts it out:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{2(0-1)}{e^{0}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = -2[/tex]

[tex] y - 1 = -2x + 2[/tex]
[tex] y = -2x + 3[/tex]

Thanks!

Related to Parametric Tangent Problem driving me insane

1. What is a parametric tangent problem?

A parametric tangent problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the tangent line to a curve at a specific point, using parametric equations. Parametric equations are a way of representing a curve or line using two or more equations with a parameter.

2. Why is the parametric tangent problem important?

The parametric tangent problem is important because it allows us to determine the slope of a curve at a specific point, which can be useful in many areas of science and engineering. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many real-world applications.

3. How do you solve a parametric tangent problem?

To solve a parametric tangent problem, you first need to determine the parametric equations for the curve. Then, using the given point, you can find the values of the parameters. Next, you can use the derivative of the parametric equations to find the slope of the tangent line at the given point. Finally, you can use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line.

4. What are some common applications of the parametric tangent problem?

The parametric tangent problem has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, it can be used to determine the trajectory of a projectile, the curvature of a road, or the design of a roller coaster. It is also used in animation and video game development to create smooth and realistic movements.

5. Are there any tips for solving parametric tangent problems?

Yes, some helpful tips for solving parametric tangent problems include drawing a diagram, carefully labeling the given point and the parameters, and using the correct derivative formula for parametric equations. It is also important to check your solution by plugging in the values of the parameters and the given point to make sure it satisfies the original equations.