Parametric Surfaces: rectangular and polar coordinates

In summary, to convert a rectangular surface into a parametric surface, you need to find the equation for the vector representation of the surface, and then use that equation to find the coordinates of the points on the surface.
hsetennis

Homework Statement

I'm not grasping how to convert a surface with known rectangular graph to a parametric surface (using some polar techniques, I assume). I would appreciate it if someone could clarify the conversion process.

One of the examples is as follows:
A sphere [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}=a^{2}[/itex] is parametrized by [itex]\sqrt{a^{2}-u^{2}}cos(v)\hat{i}+\sqrt{a^{2}-u^{2}}sin{v}\hat{j}+u\hat{k}[/itex]

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried converting the terms using the spherical coordinates: [itex]sin^{2}(\phi)cos^{2}(\theta)+sin^{2}(\phi)sin^{2}(\theta) + cos^{2}(\phi)=a[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hsetennis said:

Homework Statement

I'm not grasping how to convert a surface with known rectangular graph to a parametric surface (using some polar techniques, I assume). I would appreciate it if someone could clarify the conversion process.

One of the examples is as follows:
A sphere [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}=a^{2}[/itex] is parametrized by [itex]\sqrt{a^{2}-u^{2}}cos(v)\hat{i}+\sqrt{a^{2}-u^{2}}sin{v}\hat{j}+u\hat{k}[/itex]

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried converting the terms using the spherical coordinates: [itex]sin^{2}(\phi)cos^{2}(\theta)+sin^{2}(\phi)sin^{2}(\theta) + cos^{2}(\phi)=a[/itex]
It's not always easy to come up with a parametric equation for some particular object.

Hopefully you know that for the vector representation of a surface, the vector s a position vector, that is to say, the tail of the vector sits at the origin, while the head of the vector traces out the surface, as the parameter(s) run through their range of values.

In the case of [itex]\vec{r}=\sqrt{a^{2}-u^{2}}\cos(v)\hat{i}+\sqrt{a^{2}-u^{2}}\sin{v}\hat{j}+u\hat{k}[/itex], we're saying that
[itex]x=\sqrt{a^{2}-u^{2}}\cos(v)[/itex]

[itex]y=\sqrt{a^{2}-u^{2}}\sin(v)[/itex]

[itex]z=u[/itex]​

To see that this is a representation of a sphere of radius, a, centered at the origin, square x, y, and z, then take the sum of those squares.

Of course, we must allow u and v to run though the appropriate set of values.

Thanks, that makes sense. It all works so much easier going from parametric to rectangular, but the other way around seems a little far-fetched.

Related to Parametric Surfaces: rectangular and polar coordinates

1) What are parametric surfaces?

Parametric surfaces are mathematical models that describe a 3-dimensional surface or shape using a set of parameters, usually in the form of equations. These equations define how the surface changes in each direction and allow for the creation of complex shapes that cannot be easily described using traditional equations.

2) What is the difference between rectangular and polar coordinates in parametric surfaces?

Rectangular coordinates, also known as Cartesian coordinates, use two variables (x and y) to describe the location of a point on a surface. Polar coordinates, on the other hand, use a radius (r) and an angle (θ) to describe the location of a point. In parametric surfaces, rectangular coordinates are often used to describe surfaces in the x-y plane, while polar coordinates are used to describe surfaces that are symmetric around a central point.

3) How are parametric surfaces used in real life?

Parametric surfaces have many applications in fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and physics. They are used to model complex shapes in computer-aided design (CAD) software, simulate fluid flows in aerodynamics, and generate realistic 3D models in video games and animations.

4) What are some common examples of parametric surfaces?

Some common examples of parametric surfaces include spheres, cones, tori (donut shapes), and hyperbolic paraboloids. These shapes can be described using a set of equations in either rectangular or polar coordinates, depending on their symmetries and properties.

5) What are the benefits of using parametric surfaces over traditional equations?

Parametric surfaces offer several advantages over traditional equations. They allow for more complex shapes to be described and can be more easily manipulated and transformed. Additionally, parametric surfaces can be used to create smooth and continuous surfaces, making them ideal for modeling real-world objects and phenomena.