Parametric equations to find surface area

In summary, the integral that represents the area of the surface obtained by rotating the parametric curve x=t-t^2 and y=(4/3)t^(3/2) around the x-axis is A = integral ( 2pi(y) * sqrt( 1+ (dy/dx)^2))dx, with the given limits of 1<t<2. The dy/dx can be simplified to 12(t^1/2) / (9-18t), and by substituting (1-2t)dt for dx and (4/3)t^3/2 for y, the correct answer can be obtained.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Which of the following integrals represents the area of the surface obtained by rotating the parametric curve
x=t-t^2
y=(4/3)t^(3/2)
1<t<2

Homework Equations

A = integral ( 2pi(y) * sqrt( 1+ (dy/dx)^2))dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for dy/dx and got
12(t^1/2) / (9-18t)
and then plug (1-2t)dt in for dx
and (4/3)t^3/2 for y

If i plug these all in and algebra correctly will i get the correct answer?
How do i include the information that it's being rotated around the x-axis into my equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
If i plug these all in and algebra correctly will i get the correct answer?
That should give the right answer. You can simplify your dy/dx, by the way.

How do i include the information that it's being rotated around the x-axis into my equation?
Your equation at (2.) takes care about that.

Related to Parametric equations to find surface area

What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a way to represent a curve or surface in terms of a parameter or parameters. This allows for a more flexible and efficient way of describing complex shapes.

How are parametric equations used to find surface area?

Parametric equations can be used to find surface area by first finding the equations for the curves or surfaces that make up the shape. Then, by using mathematical techniques such as integration, the surface area can be calculated using the parametric equations.

What is the benefit of using parametric equations to find surface area?

The benefit of using parametric equations is that it allows for the surface area of complex shapes to be calculated more easily and accurately. It also allows for the surface area of non-standard shapes to be calculated, which would be difficult to do using traditional methods.

What are some common applications of parametric equations to find surface area?

Parametric equations are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics to calculate the surface area of 3D models and objects. They are also used in the design and analysis of complex structures and surfaces.

Are there any limitations to using parametric equations to find surface area?

While parametric equations are a powerful tool for finding surface area, they do have some limitations. They may not work for all shapes, and they require a good understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. Additionally, the equations may become more complex for more intricate shapes, making the calculations more challenging.