Parametric equations from partial derivatives

In summary, the surface z=f(x,y)=√(9-2x2-y2) and the plane y=1 intersect in a curve, which can be described by the equation z=f(x,y)=√(9-2x^2-1). To find the parametric equations for the tangent line at (√(2),1,2), we can take the partial derivative with respect to x and evaluate it at the given point to get the rate of change of the intersection with respect to x, which is -√(2)/sqrt(2/3). This gives us the direction vector <1,0,-√(2)
nindelic

Homework Statement

The surface z=f(x,y)=√(9-2x2-y2) and the plane y=1 intersect in a curve. Find parametric equations for the tangent line at (√(2),1,2).

Homework Equations

Partial derivatives

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I'm just trying to work through an example in my textbook, so technically I have the answer, I just want the in between steps that I can't figure out. I know that you take the partial derivative with respect to x and get

fx(x,y)=0.5(9-2x2-y2)-0.5×(-4x)

and then you plug in the given point (√(2),1,2) and come out with -√(2). But then it goes to say, 'It follows that this line has direction vector <1,0,-√(2)>'.

Where did the 1 and 0 come from? And how do I get the parametric equations from the 'direction vector'?

Physics news on Phys.org
nindelic said:

Homework Statement

The surface z=f(x,y)=√(9-2x2-y2) and the plane y=1 intersect in a curve. Find parametric equations for the tangent line at (√(2),1,2).

Homework Equations

Partial derivatives

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I'm just trying to work through an example in my textbook, so technically I have the answer, I just want the in between steps that I can't figure out. I know that you take the partial derivative with respect to x and get

fx(x,y)=0.5(9-2x2-y2)-0.5×(-4x)

and then you plug in the given point (√(2),1,2) and come out with -√(2). But then it goes to say, 'It follows that this line has direction vector <1,0,-√(2)>'.

Where did the 1 and 0 come from? And how do I get the parametric equations from the 'direction vector'?
Hello nindelic. Welcome to PF !
Find an equation which describes the curve of intersection. This will give z as a function of x along this curve.

SammyS said:
Hello nindelic. Welcome to PF !
Find an equation which describes the curve of intersection. This will give z as a function of x along this curve.

Thank you, SammyS! And okay, I don't know what that means. A big part of my problem I'd say is understanding math speak. If all I have is numbers then I can do about anything, but throw some words in there and I am completely lost. So what exactly does that mean? Like using different coordinates?

I tried finding the partial derivative with respect to y but that didn't help at all. I tried solving the equation and the partial WRT x for the other variables but that didn't help. I just don't know where the 1 or 0 came from the in the direction vector...

The initial statement in your Original Post, is:
"The surface z=f(x,y)=√(9-2x2-y2) and the plane y=1 intersect in a curve."​
Can you give the equation describing this curve?

SammyS said:
The initial statement in your Original Post, is:
"The surface z=f(x,y)=√(9-2x2-y2) and the plane y=1 intersect in a curve."​
Can you give the equation describing this curve?

No, I'm not sure how to find it.

nindelic said:
No, I'm not sure how to find it.

Plug y = 1 into the equation of the surface.

Okay so then the equation of the intersecting curve is:

z=f(x,y)=√(9-2x^2-1)?

But how does that help me?

nindelic said:
Okay so then the equation of the intersecting curve is:

z=f(x,y)=√(9-2x^2-1)?

But how does that help me?
Now you can find dz/dx along the curve of intersection?

What can that tell you?

SammyS said:
Now you can find dz/dx along the curve of intersection?

What can that tell you?

It tells you the rate of change of the intersection with respect to x.

dz/dx= (0.5(8-2x^2)^-0.5)*(-4x)

nindelic said:
It tells you the rate of change of the intersection with respect to x.

dz/dx= (0.5(8-2x^2)^-0.5)*(-4x)

What is this rate when x = 1 ?

-2/sqrt(6)

SammyS said:
What is this rate when x = 1 ?

nindelic said:
-2/sqrt(6)
DUH! ...

I should have asked, "What is this rate when x = √2 ?".

Related to Parametric equations from partial derivatives

What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that describe the relationship between two variables, usually x and y, in terms of a third variable, often referred to as a parameter. They are often used to represent curves or surfaces in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

How are parametric equations related to partial derivatives?

Parametric equations can be derived from partial derivatives by expressing the variables x and y in terms of the parameter. This allows for a more efficient and accurate representation of curves and surfaces, as well as easier calculations of rates of change and tangent lines.

What is the significance of partial derivatives in parametric equations?

Partial derivatives are important in parametric equations because they allow for the calculation of rates of change in multiple dimensions. This is particularly useful in fields such as physics and engineering, where understanding how a system changes over time is crucial.

How do you find the partial derivatives of parametric equations?

To find the partial derivatives of parametric equations, you can use the chain rule from calculus. This involves taking the derivative of each variable with respect to the parameter, and then plugging those derivatives into the original equations.

What are some real-life applications of parametric equations from partial derivatives?

Parametric equations from partial derivatives have many practical applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, modeling the motion of a pendulum, and analyzing the fluid flow in an aerodynamic system. They are also used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces.