Parametric Equation to Cartesian

In summary, the conversation is about finding a Cartesian equation relating x and y corresponding to the given parametric equations, with the condition that t cannot equal -1. The solution involves dividing y by x to get a value for t, which can then be substituted into the parametric equations.
SoftOath

Homework Statement

Find a Cartesian equation relating x and y corresponding to the parametric equations

[itex]x = \frac{2t}{t^3+1}[/itex]

[itex]y = \frac{9t^2}{t^3+1}[/itex]

[itex]t \neq -1 [/itex]

Write your answer in the form [itex]P(x,y)=0[/itex],
where [itex]P[/itex] is a polynomial in [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] such that the coefficient of [itex]x^3[/itex] is [itex]729[/itex].

2. The attempt at a solution

So I already have the second part of the question done which is finding the tangent line at a point, which I solved using dy/dt and dx/dt. I just cannot for the life of me figure out how to start this problem. I have tried solving for t and that has failed miserably. If anyone could just give me a little aid on how to get started, I could most likely solve it from there. Cheers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Divide y by x to get t = (2/9)(y/x) and put that in for the t's.

Many thanks friend. Got this solved.

Related to Parametric Equation to Cartesian

1. What is the difference between a parametric equation and a Cartesian equation?

A parametric equation represents a curve or surface in terms of one or more parameters, while a Cartesian equation represents a curve or surface in terms of the Cartesian coordinates x and y.

2. How do you convert a parametric equation to a Cartesian equation?

To convert a parametric equation to a Cartesian equation, solve for one of the parameters in terms of the other and substitute it into the other parameter's equation. This will result in a single equation in terms of x and y.

3. What are the advantages of using parametric equations?

Parametric equations can be useful in situations where a curve or surface cannot be easily represented by a single equation in terms of x and y. They also allow for more flexibility in representing complex shapes and can be used to create animations and special effects in computer graphics.

4. How do you graph a parametric equation?

To graph a parametric equation, you can create a table of values by choosing different values for the parameter and plugging them into the equations for x and y. These points can then be plotted on a coordinate plane to create a visual representation of the curve or surface.

5. Can a parametric equation have more than two parameters?

Yes, a parametric equation can have any number of parameters. However, most commonly, parametric equations involve two parameters to represent a curve in two-dimensional space or three parameters to represent a surface in three-dimensional space.