Parametric equation confusion of d2y/dx2

In summary, to find d2y/dx2 given x=t2 and y=t3-3t, we use the chain rule and the formula (d/dt dy/dx)/(dx/dt), which is equivalent to (dy/dt)/(dx/dt). This involves taking the derivative of dy/dx with respect to t, then multiplying it by dt/dx. To find d2y/dx2, we use the same process, but with d/dt(dy/dx) instead. It is important to ensure that dt/dx is defined and non-zero.
Eats Dirt
x=t2 and y=t3-3t, find dy/dx and d2y/dx2

I understand how to get to dy/dx but an confused on how to get to d2y/dx2 can someone please explain in depth, I know the formula is (d/dt dy/dx)/(dx/dt) I don't understand where d/dt comes from and what it is. why do we not just derive it twice? I really do not understand the 2nd part at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just several applications of the chain rule

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dt} \frac{dt}{dx} = \left(\frac{dy}{dt} / \frac{dx}{dt} \right) [/tex]
from what your OP says you're familiar with this calculation. We're just going to do it again
[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right)[/tex][tex] = \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right) \frac{dt}{dx}[/tex][tex] = \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{dy}{dt}/\frac{dx}{dt} right) / \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Office_Shredder said:

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dt} \frac{dt}{dx} = \left(\frac{dy}{dt} / \frac{dx}{dt} \right) [/tex]
from what your OP says you're familiar with this calculation. We're just going to do it again
[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right) = \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right) \frac{dt}{dx} = \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{dy}{dt}/\frac{dx}{dt} right) / \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]

Im sorry but i still have no idea : \.

It will perhaps become more clear if you switch your notation slightly. How about we denote dy/dx instead by ω. Okay, so ω is a function, and what we are looking for is dω/dx. We will apply the chain rule:

dω/dx=dω/dt * dt/dx=d/dt(ω)*dt/dx

Now we simply put back dy/dx for ω to get

d2y/dx2=d/dt(dy/dx)*dt/dx as claimed. Hope that clears it up :smile:

Office_Shredder said:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right) = \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right) \frac{dt}{dx} = \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{dy}{dt}/\frac{dx}{dt} right) / \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]

Only one note of caution with this approach: make sure dt/dx is defined which means dx/dt is non-zero (i.e. t changes with respect to x at the point you are considering and hence x also changes with respect to y)

Related to Parametric equation confusion of d2y/dx2

1. What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a mathematical expression that describes a set of coordinates (x, y) in terms of one or more parameters. These parameters can be variables, constants, or functions.

2. What does d2y/dx2 mean in a parametric equation?

d2y/dx2 is a notation used to represent the second derivative of y with respect to x. It is also known as the second order derivative or the rate of change of the slope of the curve at a given point.

3. Why is there confusion with d2y/dx2 in parametric equations?

The confusion arises because in parametric equations, both x and y are expressed in terms of a third parameter, usually denoted as t. This makes it difficult for some to understand how the derivative is being taken with respect to x when both x and y are dependent on t.

4. How do you calculate d2y/dx2 in a parametric equation?

To calculate d2y/dx2 in a parametric equation, you can use the chain rule. First, find the first derivative of y with respect to t (dy/dt). Then, divide this value by the first derivative of x with respect to t (dx/dt). Finally, take the second derivative of this ratio.

5. Are there any tips for understanding d2y/dx2 in parametric equations?

One helpful tip is to think of d2y/dx2 as the rate of change of the slope of the curve at a given point. Another tip is to remember that in a parametric equation, both x and y are functions of a third parameter, so the derivative is taken with respect to that parameter.