Parallel wires and forces acting upon them

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force on a 1.0 m length of wire in a scenario where two long, parallel wires are separated by a distance of 1.0 m and have a current of 1.0 A flowing through them. The options given are A. 2π×107 N, B. 2×107 N, C. 2π×10–7 N, and D. 2×10–7 N. The correct answer is D, and it is determined using the equation F=BIL, where B is the magnetic field density created by the current in the wire. The conversation also mentions a homework equation, F=BIL, that can be used to calculate the
magiclink
Two long, parallel wires are separated by a distance of 1.0 m. The current in each wire is 1.0 A.
Which of the following is the magnitude of the force on 1.0 m length of each wire?
A. 2π×107 N
B. 2×107 N
C. 2π×10–7 N
D. 2×10–7 N

Homework Equations

Force on wire= B field density * Length of wire * Current flowing through it
F=BIL

Hi! This problem came up in one of my practice tests and it completely eludes me. I know the answer is D, but the markscheme offers no explanation. I'm certain the answer has to do with magnetic fields that arise due to current flowing through the wires but I cannot think myself past this simple stage. I'll be extremely thankful for any helpful explanation!

Physics news on Phys.org
each wire creates a magnetic field B. Do you know how to calculate B at a distance from a straight wire?

Related to Parallel wires and forces acting upon them

1. What is the force between two parallel wires?

The force between two parallel wires is known as the magnetic force and is given by the equation F = (μ_0 * I_1 * I_2 * L) / (2πd), where μ_0 is the permeability of free space, I_1 and I_2 are the currents in the wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between them.

2. How does the distance between parallel wires affect the force between them?

The force between parallel wires is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

3. Can the direction of the force between two parallel wires be changed?

Yes, the direction of the force between two parallel wires can be changed by changing the direction of the current in one of the wires. If the currents are flowing in the same direction, the force will be attractive, and if they are flowing in opposite directions, the force will be repulsive.

4. How do parallel wires interact when the currents are in the same direction?

When the currents in two parallel wires are in the same direction, they will experience an attractive force. This is because the magnetic fields created by the currents will interact with each other, causing the wires to be pulled towards each other.

5. Can the force between two parallel wires be used for any practical applications?

Yes, the force between two parallel wires has various practical applications, such as in electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in devices such as speakers, headphones, and hard drives.