Parallel Vectors - Learn How to Calculate

In summary, parallel vectors are vectors that have the same direction but can have different magnitudes. They can be determined by using the dot product, and the magnitude can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. They can also be added or subtracted, and are commonly used in real-life applications such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics to represent forces, velocities, and directions.
BOAS
Sorry - Answered my own question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To find a vector which is perpendicular to 2 others, just find the cross product between the two.

Let A(1,-1,2) and B(2,1,-3).

A x B will be perpendicular to both vectors A and B.
(I hope you know to find cross product)

To find unit vector just divide the resultant with the norm.

Related to Parallel Vectors - Learn How to Calculate

1. What are parallel vectors?

Parallel vectors are vectors that have the same direction but can have different magnitudes. This means they are either pointing in the exact same direction or in opposite directions.

2. How do I determine if two vectors are parallel?

To determine if two vectors are parallel, you can use the dot product. If the dot product of two vectors is equal to 1, they are parallel. If the dot product is equal to -1, they are anti-parallel (pointing in opposite directions).

3. How do I calculate the magnitude of a parallel vector?

The magnitude of a parallel vector can be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude.

4. Can parallel vectors be added or subtracted?

Yes, parallel vectors can be added or subtracted. When adding or subtracting parallel vectors, the resulting vector will also be parallel to the original vectors.

5. How are parallel vectors used in real life?

Parallel vectors are used in many real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and computer graphics. They are used to represent forces, velocities, and directions, and are essential in solving problems involving motion and direction.