Parallel Plates Homework: A Proton Accelerated From Rest

In summary, the conversation is about finding the speed of a proton accelerated through a potential difference of 1.2 x 10^4 V towards a fixed charge of 5.0 x 10^-6, and determining the distance at which the proton is stopped. The first part involves using the principle of conservation of energy to calculate the final velocity of the proton, while the second part may involve using Coulomb's Law and integrating from infinity to the unknown distance. An attached diagram provides a visual aid for solving the problem. However, if the initial distance of the proton from the fixed charge is not given, the solution may be expressed in terms of the relative distance traveled by the proton.
Inertialforce

Homework Statement

A proton, accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 1.2 x 10^4 V, is directed at a fixed 5.0 x 10^-6 charge.

a) What is the speed of the proton as it leaves the parallel plates?

b) What is the distance d from the fixed charge when the proton is stopped?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A) For part "a" what I did was I used the principle of conservation of energy equation (-Δ Ep = Δ Ek or ΔEp = -ΔEk) and isolated for final velocity.

Note: ΔEp = ΔV x q in this question not mgh

Δ Ep = -ΔEk
Δ V x q = Eki - Ekf
Δ V x q = -1/2mvf^2
vf = √(-2ΔV x q/m)

then I plugged in all my values and the answer that I got was 1.5 x 10^6 m/s could someone please check this to see if it is correct because this is the first time that I have done these questions and I just want to see if I am doing it right before I proceed to the other questions.

B) For part "b" I do not understand the question, could someone please tell me what equations I should be using or point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Inertialforce said:
then I plugged in all my values and the answer that I got was 1.5 x 10^6 m/s could someone please check this to see if it is correct because this is the first time that I have done these questions and I just want to see if I am doing it right before I proceed to the other questions.
Looks ok here.

B) For part "b" I do not understand the question, could someone please tell me what equations I should be using or point me in the right direction?
Are you given the initial distance of the proton from the fixed charge when it first leaves the plates?

Defennder said:
Looks ok here.

Are you given the initial distance of the proton from the fixed charge when it first leaves the plates?

No, I am not given a distance of any kind in this question.

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure you need to know the initial distance of the proton from the fixed positive charge. Otherwise all you can do is to express the answer in terms of the relative distance traveled by the proton:

ie. [tex]\frac{1}{r_2} - \frac{1}{r_1}[/tex]. where r1 denotes the distance from the fixed charge and r2 the initial distance of the proton from the fixed charge when it leaves the plates.

If you aren't given a initial distance from the fixed charge, then I would assume that it's infinity. Just because there isn't much else to do. Defennder is quite right that otherwise it's ill defined.

Last edited:
It seems for part b), they want you to know how close a proton having the energy found in part a) can approach the other charge. You could try integrating Coulomb's Law from infinity to "d", your unknown. This gives you another expression for the change in potential energy that you could use with the one from part a). (I am new to this forum. I have read the rules on posting, but any feedback is appreciated!)

korkscrew said:
It seems for part b), they want you to know how close a proton having the energy found in part a) can approach the other charge. You could try integrating Coulomb's Law from infinity to "d", your unknown. This gives you another expression for the change in potential energy that you could use with the one from part a). (I am new to this forum. I have read the rules on posting, but any feedback is appreciated!)

I'm not quite sure but I think we are supposed to solve this question using some of the methods you suggested. To better illustrate this question I have added an attachment of a diagram given to us along with the question to better see how to solve this question. I hope that it helps in some way.

And after seeing the diagram would I still need to use Coulomb's Law from infinity to "d"?

Attachments

• Parallel Plates.doc
    26 KB · Views: 218
Um, I should point out that not many people would open *.doc files for fear of viruses/trojans. Upload it as a PDF file instead.

Defennder said:
Um, I should point out that not many people would open *.doc files for fear of viruses/trojans. Upload it as a PDF file instead.

Sorry, but I do not know how to make (or change a word document into a) pdf document. If you could tell me how to do it in a few simple steps then I would be happy to change the attachment into a pdf file and re-upload it.

Inertialforce said:
Sorry, but I do not know how to make (or change a word document into a) pdf document. If you could tell me how to do it in a few simple steps then I would be happy to change the attachment into a pdf file and re-upload it.

3rd party tools like:
pdf convertor
http://www.freepdfconvert.com/
https://www.pdfonline.com/convert_pdf.asp

.. many other

Save as pdf in Word 2007 (not in all of them)
Save as html .. other option

Last edited by a moderator:
Inertialforce said:
I'm not quite sure but I think we are supposed to solve this question using some of the methods you suggested. To better illustrate this question I have added an attachment of a diagram given to us along with the question to better see how to solve this question. I hope that it helps in some way.

And after seeing the diagram would I still need to use Coulomb's Law from infinity to "d"?

I think korkscrew suggestion looks good...
It just that

energy possessed by electron between the plates = final potential energy with the fixed proton/object

don't include the part a calculations (jump straight from the initial conditions)
potential energy given to proton --> kinetic (speed) [skip this one] --> final potential

rootX said:
3rd party tools like:
pdf convertor
http://www.freepdfconvert.com/
https://www.pdfonline.com/convert_pdf.asp

.. many other

Save as pdf in Word 2007 (not in all of them)
Save as html .. other option

rootX said:
I think korkscrew suggestion looks good...
It just that

energy possessed by electron between the plates = final potential energy with the fixed proton/object

don't include the part a calculations (jump straight from the initial conditions)
potential energy given to proton --> kinetic (speed) [skip this one] --> final potential

Thanks for all the help. I have now converted the diagram included with the question from word format (.doc) into pdf format. After looking at this diagram does it make solving the question any easier in terms of the information it gives you or no? Because when I looked at the questions and then at the diagram I found that the diagram only helped with answering part "a" of this question.

Attachments

• Parallel_Plates.pdf
    21.5 KB · Views: 230
Last edited by a moderator:
As others have suggested, just assume that the fixed charge is sufficiently far away from the second plate and apply conservation of energy.

Nice diagram! To clarify my reasoning, I meant that for part a, you calculate the energy of the proton to find its speed. In part b, you use this energy and set it equal to your integral of Coulomb's Law so you can solve for your unknown "d" - one of your limits of integration.

More detailed clarification: The purpose of the plates is to give the proton some kinetic energy so it can approach the other positive charge. You know the voltage and you know the charge on the proton. You can find the energy of the proton using these. Since you're given the voltage, you don't need to worry about the distance between the plates. The accelerated proton leaves the plates, meaning it has some set amount of energy it can use to approach the 2nd charge. It needs this energy, otherwise, it would be repelled, right? Your distance of closest approach is "d", your unknown. Integrate Coulomb's Law with respect to r from infinity to "d", your unknown. (Watch signs b/c work is negative here, *and* you should get something in terms of 1/r.) You already found the final potential energy in part a) to get the speed by using conservation of energy. So, the change in potential energy is just final minus initial (zero), which is just your final potential energy.

Plugging everybody in, you should have a potential energy found in part a) *set equal to* a potential energy in terms of "d" from Coulomb's Law. Solve for "d".

Last edited:

Related to Parallel Plates Homework: A Proton Accelerated From Rest

1. What is the purpose of the Parallel Plates Homework: A Proton Accelerated From Rest?

The purpose of this homework is to understand the principles of electrostatics and how they apply to the acceleration of a proton between two parallel plates.

2. How does the acceleration of a proton between parallel plates work?

The acceleration of a proton between parallel plates is a result of the electric field created by the plates. The positive charges on the plates repel the positively charged proton, causing it to accelerate towards the negatively charged plate.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a proton between parallel plates?

The acceleration of a proton between parallel plates is affected by the strength of the electric field, the distance between the plates, and the initial velocity of the proton.

4. How is the acceleration of a proton between parallel plates calculated?

The acceleration of a proton between parallel plates can be calculated using the equation a = qE/m, where a is the acceleration, q is the charge of the proton, E is the electric field strength, and m is the mass of the proton.

5. Why is the acceleration of a proton between parallel plates important in scientific research?

The acceleration of a proton between parallel plates is important in scientific research because it is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle accelerators and medical imaging.