Parabola Question: Verifying Solution with Multiple Methods

• Thread starter sourpatchkid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary: You should have gotten y= x^2+ bx= x^2+ bx+ (b/2)^2- (b/2)^2= (x+ b/2)^2- (b/2)^2.In summary, the vertices of the family of parabolas y = x^2 + bx, where b is a constant, lie on a single parabola with the equation y= (x+ b/2)^2- (b/2)^2. This can be verified by completing the square and finding the center of the parabola, (h, k). The general equation for a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a,
sourpatchkid
mods please move this topic if this is not in the correct section. thanks. :)

the question is:
the vertices of the family of parabolas y = x^2 + bx, b is constant, lie on a single parabola. Find equation for that parabola.

my teacher require me to provide supporting details & background info that back up my answer and have to verify it using a different method. I'm really puzzled and i would greatly appreciate any help that comes my way. thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well why don't you start by showing what you've done on the problem, and we'll take it from there.

You might want to start by completing the square so it's easy to see where the vertices are.

so this is what I've gotten so far, please correct me if I'm wrong.

for any generalized parabola, the equation is given in the standard form: y = ax^2 + bx + c

a = 1 (in the equation y = x^2 + bx)
b = constant
c = (b/2)^2

the equation for the parabola that the question asks for, if written as completing the square, should be: y - k = (x - h)^2.
we need to find the center (h, k) so that y = x^2 + bx.

y - k = (x - h)(x - h)
y - k = x^2 - 2xh + h^2

...?

[tex]x^2+bx=(x+b/2)^2-b^2/4[/tex] check it and then see if that's helpful for you.

sourpatchkid said:
so this is what I've gotten so far, please correct me if I'm wrong.

for any generalized parabola, the equation is given in the standard form: y = ax^2 + bx + c

a = 1 (in the equation y = x^2 + bx)
Yes, but not in this equation! Would it be easier to write it as [itex]y= a(x^2+ (b/a)x)+ c[/itex]? How would you complete the square for [itex]a(x^2+ (b/a)x[/itex]?

b = constant
c = (b/2)^2

the equation for the parabola that the question asks for, if written as completing the square, should be: y - k = (x - h)^2.
we need to find the center (h, k) so that y = x^2 + bx.

y - k = (x - h)(x - h)
y - k = x^2 - 2xh + h^2

...?
Why, after completing the square, did you then ignore it?

Related to Parabola Question: Verifying Solution with Multiple Methods

1. What is a parabola?

A parabola is a symmetrical curve that is formed when a plane intersects a cone at a right angle. It is a type of conic section and is characterized by its U shape.

2. How do you graph a parabola?

To graph a parabola, you will need to identify the vertex, which is the point where the parabola reaches its minimum or maximum value. Then, plot the vertex on the coordinate plane and use the shape of the parabola to plot additional points on either side.

3. What is the standard form of a parabola?

The standard form of a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and a ≠ 0. This form allows you to easily identify the vertex and direction of opening of the parabola.

4. How do you verify a solution to a parabola question using multiple methods?

To verify a solution to a parabola question, you can use multiple methods such as graphing, substitution, and factoring. Graphing involves plotting the solution on a coordinate plane and checking if it lies on the parabola. Substitution involves substituting the solution into the original equation to see if it satisfies the equation. Factoring involves factoring the equation and checking if the solution makes the equation equal to zero.

5. What are the different types of solutions to a parabola equation?

The different types of solutions to a parabola equation are real solutions, imaginary solutions, and no solutions. Real solutions are solutions that are either rational or irrational numbers. Imaginary solutions involve the use of imaginary numbers, and no solutions occur when the equation cannot be solved for any value of x.