Paper Rocket Parachute Deployment

In summary, the students are looking for ways to deploy a parachute when the rocket is at its peak point. They are considering using paper, string, plastic bags, and anything else they can find.
Boxlife27
In AP Physics B, for our physics olympics, for one event, we are required to make a paper rocket that will be launched straight up in the air by an air compressor and pump. (60 psi)

We have already assembled the paper rocket, with one cylinder of paper, a cone paper nose, and a load of tape to ensure the top doesn't burst on launch.

My teacher warned that the winners and the losers always have parachutes, because either you nail it or you don't. (Parachute might deploy too early, too late, etc...)

How can I deploy a parachute when the rocket is at its peak point?

We have paper, string, plastic bags, and pretty much anything we can get our hands on.

Thank you, any help is very welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Boxlife27 said:
In AP Physics B, for our physics olympics, for one event, we are required to make a paper rocket that will be launched straight up in the air by an air compressor and pump. (60 psi)

We have already assembled the paper rocket, with one cylinder of paper, a cone paper nose, and a load of tape to ensure the top doesn't burst on launch.

My teacher warned that the winners and the losers always have parachutes, because either you nail it or you don't. (Parachute might deploy too early, too late, etc...)

How can I deploy a parachute when the rocket is at its peak point?

We have paper, string, plastic bags, and pretty much anything we can get our hands on.

Thank you, any help is very welcome.

What are your ideas so far? Do you know about how long it will take from launch to apex?

No, I don't know that, but I believe we will try something like this. http://youtu.be/EQM3NvbK1fE
Creating a flap that will remain closed on the way up and open and deploy the parachute at its peak... Opinions? Thanks

Related to Paper Rocket Parachute Deployment

What is a paper rocket parachute deployment?

A paper rocket parachute deployment is a method used to safely bring a paper rocket back to the ground after being launched. It involves attaching a parachute to the rocket and deploying it at a certain height to slow down the descent.

What materials are needed for a paper rocket parachute deployment?

The materials needed for a paper rocket parachute deployment include a paper rocket, a parachute, string, tape, scissors, and a launch pad. You may also need a weight to attach to the bottom of the rocket to ensure stability during flight.

What is the purpose of a paper rocket parachute deployment?

The purpose of a paper rocket parachute deployment is to safely bring a paper rocket back to the ground after being launched. It also adds an element of fun and excitement to the rocket launch experience.

How does a paper rocket parachute deployment work?

The parachute is attached to the top of the rocket using string and tape. When the rocket reaches a certain height, the parachute is deployed, causing it to open up and create air resistance, slowing down the descent of the rocket.

What factors can affect the success of a paper rocket parachute deployment?

The success of a paper rocket parachute deployment can be affected by factors such as wind speed and direction, weight of the rocket, size and shape of the parachute, and the height at which the parachute is deployed. It is important to carefully consider these factors when planning and executing a paper rocket parachute deployment.