Paper: Attention decay in science

In summary, the exponential growth in the number of scientific papers has made it increasingly difficult for researchers to keep track of all the publications relevant to their work. This leads to a rapid decay in attention given to individual papers, measured by their citation counts. The problem is not too much information, but too much noise, making it difficult to find relevant information even with the help of tools like Google Scholar's Alerts. This issue is not unique to the scientific field, as the abundance of information affects other areas like journalism and education as well.
Wonder if our resident researchers and scientists feel this way?

The exponential growth in the number of scientific papers makes it increasingly difficult for researchers to keep track of all the publications relevant to their work. Consequently, the attention that can be devoted to individual papers, measured by their citation counts, is bound to decay rapidly. In this work we make a thorough study of the life-cycle of papers in different disciplines

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1503.01881v1.pdf

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
I have often considered somethings similar to this. For example there are so many crappy textbooks out there that a student trying to learn something can be faced with the trouble of simply trying to search through all the ones available just to find one that is good. Then upon getting that book it doesn't suit their learning style. As a result we often waste so much time studying from lacking materials or waste time searching for better ones. I imagine there's probably some correlation to this idea in the game of dating when there's a large dating pool. Anyhow, I know this is not the same as what you're talking about, but it's similar. Maybe a better question I've pondered is in doing research for journalism. A person is looking for particular bits of information, but there's so much out there it's difficult to find what you'e looking for even though you know it exists and have a clear idea of what you want. The problem isn't you don't know, it's that your search results are too vast to find what you need so you end up with nothing. LOL humorously this means that the problem with the information age is that there's too much information to actually learn what you're trying to even if it's available - unless you are the source of that information in your own lab or experiment etc...

Likes symbolipoint
Actually, the way I define it, the issue is not too much information, but too much noise. I define information on topic x to be anything that reduces the options/alternatives on determining a quality about x and different statements provide different measures of information on x. Example: information on determining the identity of a given person: the person's height, hair color. provides a good measure of information on the identity of the person, because knowing these two pieces of data narrows down the choices on who this person is. A statement with less informational content: the person is between 3' and 6' tall , since it does not narrow down the possibilities. Under this definition I think the problem is too much data with too little informational content.

Likes Enigman
In some circumstances I would agree. But the problem is that often there is lots of useful data, just not useful for the particular individual who found it. I guess we could say "one man's noise is another man's data" LOL :D

Likes Ryan_m_b and Bacle2
Yes,good point, maybe were relatively early into the information age and we do not yet have good-enough data mining, both at a personal and industrial/institutional level.

Likes DrPapper
When a paper presents a significant result, the result is likely going to make it into review articles. Eventually it's not the initial paper that gets cited, but rather the reviews. Those reviews eventually make it into textbooks, and the textbooks become cited as the result becomes part of the established theory within the field.

I'm not sure how one could account for this kind of lifespan-impact as compared to a perceived impact decay as measured by number of citations alone.

With respect to the issue of simply keeping track of all the relevant literature in my field, I have to admit its quite difficult. I have about a half dozen journals that I try to read on a regular basis maybe a half dozen more that are more peripheral, but often contain relevant stuff. I use Google Scholar's Alerts to email me summaries of recent publications for specific key words - unfortunately I find only about 10% of these are relevant. On top of that there are all the newer "open access" journals that while in some cases add good stuff, in others add in a lot of noise.

Likes DrPapper
Greg Bernhardt said:
Sorry, I do not have time to read this paper!

DrPapper said:
I have often considered somethings similar to this. For example there are so many crappy textbooks out there that a student trying to learn something can be faced with the trouble of simply trying to search through all the ones available just to find one that is good. Then upon getting that book it doesn't suit their learning style. As a result we often waste so much time studying from lacking materials or waste time searching for better ones. I imagine there's probably some correlation to this idea in the game of dating when there's a large dating pool. Anyhow, I know this is not the same as what you're talking about, but it's similar. Maybe a better question I've pondered is in doing research for journalism. A person is looking for particular bits of information, but there's so much out there it's difficult to find what you'e looking for even though you know it exists and have a clear idea of what you want. The problem isn't you don't know, it's that your search results are too vast to find what you need so you end up with nothing. LOL humorously this means that the problem with the information age is that there's too much information to actually learn what you're trying to even if it's available - unless you are the source of that information in your own lab or experiment etc...
Companies like Google and Facebook make billions with approaches to this problem.

Likes DrPapper
Of course also the number of students has escalated in the same proportion.

Related to Paper: Attention decay in science

1. What is attention decay in science?

Attention decay in science refers to the phenomenon of scientific papers receiving less attention and citations over time. It is the decreasing interest and impact that a paper has on the scientific community as time passes.

2. What causes attention decay in science?

Attention decay in science can be caused by a variety of factors, including the emergence of new research topics, changes in scientific trends, and the publication of new papers that render previous ones less relevant. It can also be influenced by the quality and impact of the paper itself.

3. How is attention decay measured?

Attention decay can be measured by tracking the number of citations a paper receives over time or by quantifying the level of interest and engagement with the paper through metrics such as views, downloads, and shares. These metrics can be obtained from databases such as Google Scholar or Web of Science.

4. What are the consequences of attention decay in science?

Attention decay in science can have significant consequences for the scientific community and individual researchers. It can lead to a lack of recognition and impact for important research, hinder progress in a particular field, and affect funding and career opportunities for scientists.

5. How can attention decay be prevented?

Attention decay in science can be prevented by actively promoting and sharing research through various channels such as conferences, social media, and collaborations with other researchers. It is also important for scientists to continuously update and build upon their previous work to maintain relevance and interest in their research.