Page snapping at different places for no apparent reason

• Bug
  • Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary: If the memory problem is bad enough to cause the phone to reboot, why do you think this isn't caused by the same problem?Maybe. I haven't got an idea. That's why I posted here. Actually the memory improved over the last few months, from 98% used to 95% used. The problem is, Google Play Services is eating up everything. Maybe it's a memory problem too.Get a large Micro sd card, install it, format it (if needed), then move apps over there and clean up "My Files" by moving images, mpeg, etc., to the sd card (Usually DCIM directory). Otherwise memory gets used up by ordinary files and executable images that are not necessary for
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Just now, while I was trying to edit my reply to a message, the page snapped, showing up this:

Screenshot_20180321-201641.png

After that, this happened three times in different places, like once in the media gallery, then while replying to a conversation, and again in the forums.

Is anyone else faving this? Any idea why this is happening? I'm losing the draft each time this is happening.

I'm on Samsung Galaxy On7, Android Marshmallow, chrome browser. Is it a problem with my browser?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180321-201641.png
    Screenshot_20180321-201641.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 797
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
The question would be did you install an extension to Chrome that could be failing
It's chrome on mobile. So, extensions don't come into the scene.

Cleared cache and cookies.

Wrichik Basu said:
...the page snapped...
FYI, if [American] English isn't your native language, "snap" isn't a verb here, it's a slang noun expletive. The page (plugin) crashed.

When I read your title, I thought you were referring to how a page may scroll around seemingly randomly when loading; it may "snap" to different locations on the page as graphics load and re-size it.

This particular use of the word "snap" is built into Google Chrome though - "Aw snap" is the browser's standard error when it cannot display a page.

jedishrfu said:
reboot too.

My phone automatically reboots quite a lot of times. Seems it's due to memory problem.

russ_watters said:
FYI, if [American] English isn't your native language, "snap" isn't a verb here, it's a slang noun expletive. The page (plugin) crashed.

When I read your title, I thought you were referring to how a page may scroll around seemingly randomly when loading; it may "snap" to different locations on the page as graphics load and re-size it.

I was not at all aware of that useage. Actually in India, we don't use American English in books or journals. Anyways, thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Also you could have malware on it and that is interfereing with the browser. I’m assuming it’s an android based phone.

jedishrfu said:
Also you could have malware on it and that is interfereing with the browser. I’m assuming it’s an android based phone.
Yes, Android. I've already mentioned that in the first post:
Wrichik Basu said:
I'm on Samsung Galaxy On7, Android Marshmallow

Wrichik Basu said:
My phone automatically reboots quite a lot of times. Seems it's due to memory problem.

If the memory problem is bad enough to cause the phone to reboot, why do you think this isn't caused by the same problem?

Likes jedishrfu
Vanadium 50 said:
If the memory problem is bad enough to cause the phone to reboot, why do you think this isn't caused by the same problem?
Maybe. I haven't got an idea. That's why I posted here. Actually the memory improved over the last few months, from 98% used to 95% used. The problem is, Google Play Services is eating up everything. Maybe it's a memory problem too.

Get a large Micro sd card, install it, format it (if needed), then move apps over there and clean up "My Files" by moving images, mpeg, etc., to the sd card (Usually DCIM directory). Otherwise memory gets used up by ordinary files and executable images that are not necessary for the OS and primary apps like browsers to function.

jim mcnamara said:
Get a large Micro sd card, install it, format it (if needed), then move apps over there and clean up "My Files" by moving images, mpeg, etc., to the sd card (Usually DCIM directory). Otherwise memory gets used up by ordinary files and executable images that are not necessary for the OS and primary apps like browsers to function.
I am against an adoptable memory (formatting the sd card as internal storage), because when my last phone just crashed forever (it was stuck in a bootloop for no reason), I could not recover the contents from the sd card.

I have an external sd card of 32GB size. In fact, my phone memory has nothing but apps (not even media files from WhatsApp). Google Play Services itself takes up 210MB. Other preinstalled apps like play music and Google app (which I have disabled) continue to take up significant amount of data. In fact, about 90% of the apps that I've installed have been moved to sd card.

I was thinking to root my phone and remove the bloatware. But that would be a risk, because I've read that sometimes the rooting process can fail and the phone can be stuck in a bootloop. I cannot afford a new phone at this moment. That's why I'm continuing like this.

Related to Page snapping at different places for no apparent reason

1. What causes page snapping at different places on a webpage?

Page snapping can occur due to a variety of factors, such as browser settings, CSS code, or the use of certain plugins or scripts. It could also be caused by the size or layout of the content on the page.

2. How can I prevent page snapping from happening on my website?

To prevent page snapping, it is important to ensure that your website is properly coded and optimized for different screen sizes. This includes using responsive design and avoiding large or heavy elements on the page. Additionally, you can disable any plugins or scripts that may be causing the snapping.

3. Is page snapping a common issue for websites?

Page snapping is a common issue that can occur on websites, especially those with complex layouts or heavy content. However, it can also be easily fixed by identifying and addressing the underlying causes.

4. Can page snapping affect the user experience on my website?

Yes, page snapping can negatively impact the user experience on your website. It can make navigation and scrolling difficult for users, causing frustration and potentially leading to them leaving your site. It is important to address any page snapping issues to ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience for your website visitors.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to help fix page snapping issues?

Yes, there are various tools and resources available to help identify and fix page snapping issues. These include browser developer tools, CSS debugging tools, and online forums or communities where you can seek advice and assistance from other web developers.