Home page category management

• Thread starter TumblingDice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    android
In summary, the conversation discusses issues with collapsing and expanding categories not being sticky between logoff and login, and difficulties with the display of category tool graphics on different browsers and devices. The issue with the collapsing/expanding categories not being sticky is being looked into, and the opacity of the toggles has been adjusted, but there is still noticeable issues with the display of the graphics.
TumblingDice
Gold Member
Hey there Greg,

I'm pruning some items off of my observation list to post now. All apply to home page categories - I don't think any have been reported yet, and hoping I'm posting this timely to 'compartmentalize' for everyone.

Easy one?: Collapsing/expanding categories aren't sticky between logoff/login. I've tried different browsers ("Yep", cookies are allowed), and am unable to keep any category collapsed between sessions.

Category Tool graphics:
1) Desktop Windows/IE11:
The tool images are barely visible due to foreground/background:
http://www.impactsoftware.com/private/pf4/home-windows-ie11.png

2) Android tablet TFT700T/Opera Classic: The tool images do not display at all. If I press where I know they should be, I can see a dotted highlight rectangle. The rect is tall enough, but it's only maybe 10 or 12 pixels wide - too narrow for what should be displayed:
http://www.impactsoftware.com/private/pf4/Home-Droid-OperaClassic.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I turned up the opacity of the toggles. I can confirm they don't stick. I'll have to find out why.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I turned up the opacity of the toggles.

O.K. I can't say there's much of a difference. I closed/opened IE11, and then tried Chrome. I'm expecting at least a two-tone of alpha-blended white/black. I see the dark stuff, but no highlighting to 'set it off':

http://www.impactsoftware.com/private/pf4/Category-Chrome.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Home page category management

What is home page category management?

Home page category management is the process of organizing and managing the categories and subcategories of products or services featured on a website's home page. It involves determining the most effective and user-friendly way to present and group these categories to help users easily navigate the site and find what they are looking for.

Why is home page category management important?

Effective home page category management is crucial for providing a positive user experience and increasing website traffic and sales. It helps users quickly find what they are looking for, reduces confusion and frustration, and encourages them to explore more of the site. It also allows for better organization and management of products or services, making it easier for businesses to track and analyze their performance.

What factors should be considered when managing home page categories?

When managing home page categories, it is important to consider the needs and preferences of the target audience, the amount and variety of products or services, and the goals of the website. It is also important to regularly review and update the categories to ensure they are still relevant and effective.

How can I improve my home page category management?

To improve home page category management, it is helpful to gather user feedback and analyze website analytics to understand how users are navigating and interacting with the categories. Based on this information, adjustments can be made to optimize the categories for better usability and effectiveness.

What are some common mistakes in home page category management?

Some common mistakes in home page category management include having too many categories, using unclear or inconsistent naming conventions, and not regularly updating or reorganizing the categories. These can lead to a confusing and overwhelming user experience, making it difficult for users to find what they are looking for and potentially driving them away from the site.