Packaged milk heated to high temperature

In summary, the documentary discussed how packaged milk is processed, including the use of high temperature for a few seconds to kill bacteria without compromising the quality and nutrients of the milk. The specific temperature mentioned was 160F, which can potentially affect the molecules of milk. However, upon further research, the standard pasteurization process is actually at 161F for 15-20 seconds.
jackson6612
Yesterday they were showing a kind of documentary on how packaged milk is processed and where they mentioned that at a stage milk is heated to a high temperature for a few seconds to kill all bacteria present without affecting the quality and nutrients of milk. I don't exactly remember the temperature but it was so high that, I suspect, it can affect the molecules of milk. What do you say on this? Please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
jackson6612 said:
Yesterday they were showing a kind of documentary on how packaged milk is processed and where they mentioned that at a stage milk is heated to a high temperature for a few seconds to kill all bacteria present without affecting the quality and nutrients of milk. I don't exactly remember the temperature but it was so high that, I suspect, it can affect the molecules of milk. What do you say on this? Please let me know.
IIRC, it was 160 F for a few seconds.
I looked it up. HTST pastuerizationn is 161F from 15-20m seconds.

Last edited:

Related to Packaged milk heated to high temperature

1. What is the purpose of heating packaged milk to a high temperature?

Heating packaged milk to a high temperature, also known as pasteurization, is done to kill harmful bacteria and extend the shelf life of the milk. It also helps to improve the milk's taste and texture.

2. How does heating affect the nutritional value of milk?

Heating milk to a high temperature can slightly decrease the nutritional value of the milk, as some vitamins and proteins may be destroyed. However, pasteurization is necessary to ensure the milk is safe to consume.

3. Does heating milk to a high temperature make it less nutritious than raw milk?

Pasteurization does not significantly affect the nutritional value of milk. While some vitamins and proteins may be destroyed, the risk of consuming harmful bacteria from raw milk is much greater.

4. Can heating milk to a high temperature cause any negative effects on the body?

No, pasteurization does not have any negative effects on the body. In fact, it helps to make milk safe for consumption by killing harmful bacteria that can cause illness.

5. Is it safe to consume milk that has not been heated to a high temperature?

Raw milk that has not been pasteurized can contain harmful bacteria such as E. coli, Salmonella, and Listeria. These bacteria can cause foodborne illnesses and can be especially dangerous for young children, pregnant women, and those with weakened immune systems. It is recommended to always consume pasteurized milk for safety purposes.