P[limsup] of independent events

In summary, the P[limsup] of independent events refers to the probability that at least one of the events in a sequence of independent events will occur infinitely often. It is calculated by taking the limit of the probability of the union of the events as n tends to infinity, and it is complementary to P[liminf]. P[limsup] can be equal to 1 if the events are not mutually exclusive and it is commonly used in probability and statistics, as well as in fields like finance, economics, and engineering for making predictions and assessing risk.
student12s

Homework Statement

Let (A_n) be a sequence of independent events such that Pr(A_n)<1 for all n. Show that P[limsup A_n]=1 if and only if P(\cup_{n=1}^{+\infty} A_n)=1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose P[\limsup A_n]=1. Define $B_k=\cup_{i=k}^{+\infty} A_i so that B_n\downarrow \limsup_{n\to+\infty} A_n. Thus \lim_{n\to+\infty} P(B_n)=P(\limsup_{n\to+\infty} A_n)=1. So, for all \epsilon>0, there is M so that 1\geq P(\cup_{i=1}^{+\infty} A_i)\geq P(\cup_{i=M}^{+\infty}A_i)\geq 1-\epsilon$, so P(\cup_{i=1}^{+\infty} A_i)=1.
I am having trouble with the other direction. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with this problem.

To prove the other direction, we can use the definition of the limit supremum of a sequence of events. Recall that the limit supremum, denoted as limsup A_n, is defined as the set of outcomes that occur infinitely often in the sequence of events A_n.

First, assume that P(\cup_{n=1}^{+\infty} A_n)=1. This means that the probability of the union of all the events A_n occurring is equal to 1. This implies that for any \epsilon>0, there exists an M such that P(\cup_{n=M}^{+\infty} A_n) \geq 1-\epsilon.

Now, we can define a new sequence of events B_n = \cup_{i=n}^{+\infty} A_i. Notice that this sequence is decreasing, as B_{n+1} \subset B_n for all n. Also, since P(\cup_{n=1}^{+\infty} A_n)=1, we have that P(B_n) \geq 1-\epsilon for all n.

Next, we can use the continuity of probability to show that P(\limsup A_n) = P(\cap_{n=1}^{+\infty} B_n) = \lim_{n\to+\infty} P(B_n) = 1. This completes the proof in this direction.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you would like me to explain any part of the solution in more detail.

Related to P[limsup] of independent events

1. What is the definition of P[limsup] of independent events?

The P[limsup] of independent events refers to the probability that at least one of the events in a sequence of independent events will occur infinitely often. It is denoted as P[limsup(A_n)] where A_n represents the sequence of events.

2. How is P[limsup] of independent events calculated?

P[limsup] of independent events is calculated by taking the limit of the probability of the union of the events as n tends to infinity. In other words, it is the probability of the intersection of infinitely many events.

3. What is the relationship between P[limsup] and P[liminf] of independent events?

The P[limsup] and P[liminf] are complementary probabilities, meaning that the sum of these two probabilities is always equal to one. P[liminf] represents the probability that the events will occur infinitely often, while P[limsup] represents the probability that at least one of the events will occur infinitely often.

4. Can P[limsup] of independent events ever be equal to 1?

Yes, P[limsup] of independent events can be equal to 1 if the events in the sequence are not mutually exclusive. In this case, at least one of the events is guaranteed to occur infinitely often.

5. How is P[limsup] of independent events used in real-world applications?

P[limsup] of independent events is commonly used in the field of probability and statistics to analyze the long-term behavior of random events. It is also used in various fields such as finance, economics, and engineering to make predictions and assess risk.