P and X completely describing a system of particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of classical physics and the idea that if one knows the position and momentum of all particles in a system, the evolution of the system can be completely known. However, this would also have to include knowledge of all the forces acting on the particles, as well as the masses of the particles to determine the total kinetic energy of the system. The question is raised whether it is possible to predict future positions and momentums based on these initial conditions. The conversation also mentions challenges and problems with theories involving the continuum, as discussed in a series of articles by John Baez. There is also a clarification that the statement mentioned earlier may not be entirely accurate, as the mass of each particle is necessary to determine
kq6up
I have heard it said that in classical physics that if one knows all the particles of a systems momentums and positions, that the evolution of the system can be completely known. I would imagine this also would have to include the nature of all the forces acting on the particle. Also, for example -- how would one know the total kinetic energy of the system without knowing the masses of the particles. Is it possible only predict future positions and momentums from this set of initial conditions. I hope this question makes sense.

Regards,
kQ6uP

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to see some problems that such a question can lead to, there is a series of Insights articles by John Baez (a very sharp individual indeed).

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/struggles-continuum-part-1/

In particular:
Indeed, we have been unable to rigorously prove that most of these theories make sensible predictions in all circumstances, thanks to problems involving the continuum.

Likes kq6up
jbriggs444 said:
If you want to see some problems that such a question can lead to, there is a series of Insights articles by John Baez (a very sharp individual indeed).

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/struggles-continuum-part-1/

In particular:

Wow, I did not know that all of these conundrums existed. I think I heard the statement I posted above from Leonard Suskind's lectures. I said it during a lecture yesterday, and realized that this is not true as I would not be able to know the kinetic energy of the system without knowing the mass of each individual particle. I must have not correctly understood Suskind. Without knowing the mass, one could not know the velocity if the momentum is know. Therefore, one could not know when/where the particles would collide.

Thanks,
kQ6Up

Related to P and X completely describing a system of particles

1. What is the meaning of "P and X" in the context of describing a system of particles?

"P" refers to the position of each individual particle within the system, while "X" represents the properties or characteristics of each particle, such as mass, charge, or velocity.

2. How does "P and X" completely describe a system of particles?

By knowing the position and properties of each individual particle within the system, we can accurately describe and understand the behavior and interactions of the entire system.

3. Are there any limitations to using "P and X" to describe a system of particles?

Yes, the accuracy and completeness of the description may be affected by factors such as the number of particles in the system, the complexity of their interactions, and any external forces or influences.

4. Can "P and X" be used to describe both classical and quantum systems of particles?

Yes, the concept of "P and X" can be applied to both classical and quantum systems, although the specific variables used for position and properties may differ.

5. How does the concept of "P and X" relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, "P" often refers to pressure and "X" may represent the extensive properties of a system, such as energy or volume. Together, "P and X" can be used to describe the state of a thermodynamic system and its behavior over time.