Overcoming Singularity Issues in Numerical Integration with MATLAB

In summary, the person is having problems with singularities when trying to integrate equations using MATLAB. Increasing the values of 'm' and 'n' to larger values causes these issues. They are looking for a solution to be able to evaluate the equations for 'm' and 'n' as large as 2000. Matlab is returning results of inf, -inf, or NaN for specific (m,n) values.
strokebow
Singularities Killing Me!

Hey,

I'm having singularity problems when integrating both of these equations using MATLAB. When I increase 'm' and 'n' to larger values I get these issues.

I need to evaluate these equations for 'm' and 'n' as large as 2000.

Anyone know how I can overcome these problems?

Many thanks :-)

Please see attached (for eqns)

Attachments

• temp.pdf
    186 KB · Views: 208
Physics news on Phys.org

Can anyone see the issues here?

I'm trying to use MATLAB to numerically integrate each of these equations.

Matlab keeps complaining of singularities and being unable to integrate the equation for specific (m,n) values returning results of inf, -inf or NaN (not a number).

Related to Overcoming Singularity Issues in Numerical Integration with MATLAB

1. What is a singularity?

A singularity is a point in space-time where the laws of physics break down and become infinite. It is often associated with black holes, where the gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape.

2. How can a singularity "kill" someone?

A singularity can "kill" someone by exerting an incredibly strong gravitational pull that can rip apart anything that comes too close, including atoms and even light. This is known as spaghettification.

3. Are singularities only found in black holes?

No, singularities can also exist in other extreme conditions such as the early universe or the center of neutron stars. However, black holes are the most well-known and studied examples of singularities.

4. Can a singularity be avoided or escaped?

At this time, we do not have the technology or means to avoid or escape a singularity. Once an object or person crosses the event horizon of a black hole, they are inevitably pulled towards the singularity at the center.

5. How do singularities impact our understanding of the universe?

Singularities play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. They challenge our current understanding and theories, and studying them can help us learn more about the nature of space, time, and gravity.