Overcoming Discouragement in Physics: Advice Needed

In summary: You could mention that you are shy, but I think it is best not to get into the whole business of other students behaving badly.In summary, the person is struggling with their shyness in a major physics program and is being laughed at and talked over by classmates. They are asking for advice on how to handle this situation and have received suggestions to ignore the classmates, stop answering questions, and talk to the professor. The person ultimately decides to focus on their own academic success and ends up doing well in their classes.
paalfis
This probably sounds a bit silly for some people, but the truth is that it is affecting me. The situation is this:
I am in what it the equivalent to a major physics degree program in my country ( I am also majoring in computational sciences). Lately, mostly because I found profoundly interesting what I am studying, have encourage my self to participate more in class, which has been difficult, because of being very, very shy.
Anyway, besides of being an excellent student (and by excellent I mean, excellent), some classmates of mine constantly laugh at my questions, or answer them their self (talking over the professor) in a condescending tone (wrongly, of course), like if they pity me for being so stupid. I know that my questions are not silly at all, but I do not have a strong personality to defend my point. Then, in order to show that I am not stupid, every time the professor asks something during his lecture, I answer rapidly and make silly mistakes, sinking even deeper.
I know that I am not stupid, and I show results (perfect average, 5 or 6 kind of good research projects going on) and also I am practically in love with physic. But this thing has been going on for a while and is now impacting me and my academic results in a bad way.
Do you have any suggestion of what I can do? Or a way to convince my self to ignore this?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
paalfis said:
This probably sounds a bit silly for some people, but the truth is that it is affecting me. The situation is this:
I am in what it the equivalent to a major physics degree program in my country ( I am also majoring in computational sciences). Lately, mostly because I found profoundly interesting what I am studying, have encourage my self to participate more in class, which has been difficult, because of being very, very shy.
Anyway, besides of being an excellent student (and by excellent I mean, excellent), some classmates of mine constantly laugh at my questions, or answer them their self (talking over the professor) in a condescending tone (wrongly, of course), like if they pity me for being so stupid. I know that my questions are not silly at all, but I do not have a strong personality to defend my point. Then, in order to show that I am not stupid, every time the professor asks something during his lecture, I answer rapidly and make silly mistakes, sinking even deeper.
I know that I am not stupid, and I show results (perfect average, 5 or 6 kind of good research projects going on) and also I am practically in love with physic. But this thing has been going on for a while and is now impacting me and my academic results in a bad way.
Do you have any suggestion of what I can do? Or a way to convince my self to ignore this?
Thanks!

If you know you're smart, that's all that matters. The loudmouths will soon be forgotten. Just hang in there.

Likes Independent
I think you should stop answering questions the professor ask. As you said, that is not giving you any benefit. Instead, focus on doing best on exams\tests and show them you are smart.

If other students are answering your questions wrongly, then you need to talk to the teacher about that. He/she should be running the class better than that- at the very least pointing out that the students answer are wrong.

... Hallsoflvy, I won't talk to the peofesor, I don't want to create a bigger problem.. That is why I was asking for a personal advice to change my reaction to this issue.

Ignore them, stop asking questions in the class etc. Ask after class, maybe during office hours.

My academic year is over, and I got the best results of my class, my classmates where all surprised, I suppose that those loudmouths are feeling pretty stupid for their behaviour towards me during this year. After all, I can say that I really enjoy this semester after all, thank you very much for your advices guys :)

Last edited:
paalfis said:
... Hallsoflvy, I won't talk to the peofesor, I don't want to create a bigger problem.. That is why I was asking for a personal advice to change my reaction to this issue.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'bigger problem', unless you mean trouble for/from the other students. If a student is struggling in class, they should be able to approach the prof about it.

If you were to approach the prof, I suggest leaving all your troubles about other students out of it. Simply ask him/her how he thinks you are doing, and if your questions and answers are insightful.

Related to Overcoming Discouragement in Physics: Advice Needed

1. How can I stay motivated when facing challenges in physics?

One way to stay motivated is to remind yourself of your goals and the reasons why you chose to study physics. Surround yourself with positive and supportive peers, and seek help from professors or tutors when needed. It can also be helpful to take breaks and engage in activities outside of physics to recharge your mind and reduce burnout.

2. How do you overcome feeling discouraged after receiving a low grade?

First, it's important to remember that one low grade does not define your abilities as a physicist. Instead of dwelling on the grade, focus on understanding the material better and improving your study habits. Seek feedback from your professor and use it to guide your studying. Most importantly, don't let one setback discourage you from pursuing your passion for physics.

3. How can I manage the workload and stress of physics courses?

It's important to prioritize your tasks and manage your time effectively. Make a study schedule and stick to it, breaking up your workload into smaller, more manageable chunks. Don't be afraid to ask for extensions or help from your professors when needed. Additionally, practicing self-care and maintaining a healthy work-life balance can help reduce stress and prevent burnout.

4. What can I do if I feel like I'm falling behind in my physics classes?

First, assess the reasons why you may be falling behind. Is it because you don't understand the material, or are you struggling with time management? Once you identify the issue, seek help from your professor or peers. Don't be afraid to ask questions and attend extra help sessions or tutoring. It's also important to communicate with your professor and discuss any challenges you may be facing.

5. How can I overcome imposter syndrome in physics?

Imposter syndrome, the feeling of inadequacy and self-doubt despite evidence of success, is common among physicists. One way to combat this is to remind yourself of your accomplishments and strengths. Surround yourself with supportive peers and mentors who can provide encouragement and advice. It's also important to recognize that making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process and does not make you any less capable as a physicist.