Overall Heat transfer coefficient for a radiator

In summary, the person is looking for an estimate of the overall heat transfer coefficient for a crossflow radiator in order to design a radiator for 43kw heat dissipation. They have already used the LMTD method to find the contact surface area but are unable to find the area without knowing the overall heat transfer coefficient. They are seeking an example of a radiator design and suggest looking at manufacturers' websites for technical data sheets.
Avinash Visagan
Hello all.
I need to design a radiator for 43kw heat dissipation. I have used the LMTD method for finding out the contact surface area of the radiator. But I have a small problem. I cannot find the area unless i know the overall heat transfer coefficient. Can somebody please give an estimate of the coefficient for a crossflow radiator? Or can somebody point me to a radiator design example? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The overall heat transfer coefficient of a crossflow radiator will depend on many factors such as the materials used, size, shape and surface finish of the radiator. As such, it is difficult to provide an accurate estimate without knowing the specifics of your design. For some examples of existing radiator designs, you may want to look at the websites of radiator manufacturers such as Aetna Radiators or Dimplex. These sites often contain technical data sheets which include details such as overall heat transfer coefficients for the radiator models they offer.

Related to Overall Heat transfer coefficient for a radiator

What is the overall heat transfer coefficient for a radiator?

The overall heat transfer coefficient for a radiator is a measure of the rate at which heat is transferred from the radiator to its surroundings. It takes into account factors such as the material and thickness of the radiator, the surrounding temperature, and the air flow around the radiator.

How is the overall heat transfer coefficient for a radiator calculated?

The overall heat transfer coefficient for a radiator is calculated using the formula U = 1/(1/hi + s/k + 1/ho), where hi is the convective heat transfer coefficient on the inside of the radiator, s is the thickness of the radiator, k is the thermal conductivity of the radiator material, and ho is the convective heat transfer coefficient on the outside of the radiator.

What factors can affect the overall heat transfer coefficient for a radiator?

There are several factors that can affect the overall heat transfer coefficient for a radiator. These include the material and thickness of the radiator, the temperature difference between the radiator and its surroundings, the air flow around the radiator, and the surface area of the radiator.

Why is the overall heat transfer coefficient important for a radiator?

The overall heat transfer coefficient is important for a radiator because it determines how efficiently the radiator can transfer heat to its surroundings. A higher overall heat transfer coefficient means that the radiator can dissipate more heat, making it more effective in maintaining a desired temperature in a room or vehicle.

How can the overall heat transfer coefficient for a radiator be improved?

The overall heat transfer coefficient for a radiator can be improved by using materials with higher thermal conductivity, increasing the surface area of the radiator, and improving air flow around the radiator. Additionally, proper maintenance, such as cleaning and removing any obstructions, can also help improve the overall heat transfer coefficient for a radiator.