Outstanding Intern Performance: Should I Mention it on my Resume?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of mentioning outstanding performance in a co-op on a resume. The individual received an "outstanding" rating in all competency categories and is considering whether or not to include this on their resume. Some advice is given to only mention being ranked as "outstanding" by the manager and potentially elaborating on it during an interview or having the manager mention it in a reference.
fizzziks
I finished my co-op this past Feb after working at a major technology company (think Intel, AMD, IBM, HP, etc) in a pretty specialized field. For my end of term student performance report, I received quite a good response from my manager. In all the competency categories, I received an "outstanding."

Now, I know some companies that give their interns good marks just to uplift them or make them feel good about themselves and about the company as well, however I don't my manager did this. He said out of all the interns he's had, he hasn't given out 'outstandings' like he has with me.

Hence, my question is: should I mention this in my resume? Basically saying something that I'm the only intern that has received outstanding in all levels of competencies or would that not matter for a resume?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't put that you were the only intern to have ever received such grades, but I would certainly put something like 'ranked as "outstanding" by manager'.. or something like that.

Of course, presumably you'll be asking him for a reference, so he can mention that you are the only person he's ever given an outstanding ranking to in his reference.

cristo said:
I wouldn't put that you were the only intern to have ever received such grades, but I would certainly put something like 'ranked as "outstanding" by manager'.. or something like that.

Of course, presumably you'll be asking him for a reference, so he can mention that you are the only person he's ever given an outstanding ranking to in his reference.

Is something like this good?

Ranked “outstanding” by manager in all areas of competencies: problem solving, verbal and written communications, drive to achieve, and technical and professional expertise

Those, along with others which I didn't include, were the categories I was rated on.

I agree, is best to just leave "outstanding" in the resume. If/when you get called in for an interview for a future application, (which I've no doubt you'll be able to achieve), and only if the interviewing employer asks for you to elaborate on it, then go ahead and explain your efforts. Or, as cristo said, he may get called for a reference and he can explain, himself. Good luck!

Related to Outstanding Intern Performance: Should I Mention it on my Resume?

What is considered an outstanding intern performance?

An outstanding intern performance can be defined as consistently exceeding expectations in terms of quality of work, productivity, and overall contribution to the company during an internship.

Should I mention my outstanding intern performance on my resume?

Yes, you should definitely mention your outstanding intern performance on your resume. It can showcase your strong work ethic, skills, and potential to future employers.

How should I mention my outstanding intern performance on my resume?

You can mention your outstanding intern performance in the "Experience" or "Achievements" section of your resume. Be specific and provide examples of your accomplishments, such as completing a project ahead of schedule or receiving recognition from your supervisor.

Will mentioning my outstanding intern performance on my resume make a difference?

Yes, mentioning your outstanding intern performance on your resume can make a difference in the eyes of potential employers. It can set you apart from other candidates and demonstrate your commitment and ability to excel in a professional setting.

What if I did not have an outstanding intern performance?

If you did not have an outstanding intern performance, it is not necessary to mention it on your resume. However, you can still highlight your skills and experiences gained during the internship that are relevant to the job you are applying for.