Output Voltage Equation for AC Source at 90 Hz?

In summary, the equation for the output voltage of an AC source with an rms output voltage of 180 V and an operating frequency of 90 Hz is Voutput = 255sin(566t). There may be some discrepancies in rounding or formatting, but the solution should be correct.
Ithryndil

Homework Statement

The rms output voltage of an AC source is 180 V, and the operating frequency is 90 Hz. Write the equation giving the output voltage as a function of time t. (Use t as necessary.)

Homework Equations

[tex](\Delta v) = (\Delta V_{max})sin\omega t[/tex]
[tex]\Delta V_{max}= \sqrt{2}V_{max}[/tex]
[tex]\omega = 2\pi f[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it was a simple solve for the values of omega, Vmax, and plug those into the first equation, but I am apparently wrong according to the website. I don't think I have messed up. The only other thing I can think of is that they want it in cosine instead of sine. I got the following answer:

Voutput = 255sin(566t)

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump.

Vrms = Vp/√2

Vt = Vp*sin(ωt) = √2*Vrms*sin(2*π*f*t) = 254.55*sin(565.48*t)

That's the way I figure it.

It's difficult to imagine that they would be picky about that small a rounding error.

I meant that with my one equation...I meant that Vmax = sqrt(2)Vrms. And...I know it must be right, they are just being picky about how it's typed in, yet, I get the same answer you get. It shouldn't be cosine (thought it could be, but would require a phase angle). It also shouldn't be negative as far as I can tell. And, as my answer is within 1% of your answer, it shouldn't be picky about that either. I will just try one other thing and then email my teacher about it.

Related to Output Voltage Equation for AC Source at 90 Hz?

1. What is output voltage?

Output voltage is the measure of the electrical potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is typically measured in volts (V) and can be either positive or negative.

2. How is output voltage different from input voltage?

Output voltage is the voltage that is produced by a device or source, while input voltage is the voltage that is supplied to the device or source. Output voltage can be higher, lower, or the same as the input voltage, depending on the type of device or source.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC output voltage?

AC (alternating current) output voltage constantly changes in direction and magnitude, while DC (direct current) output voltage stays constant. AC voltage is commonly used in household outlets, while DC voltage is used in batteries and electronics.

4. How is output voltage regulated in an AC source?

In an AC source, output voltage can be regulated by adjusting the amplitude or frequency of the alternating current. This can be done using a transformer or by controlling the input voltage.

5. What factors can affect the output voltage of an AC source?

The output voltage of an AC source can be affected by factors such as input voltage, load resistance, temperature, and the quality of the source itself. Changes in any of these factors can cause fluctuations in the output voltage.