Power in an AC Circuit Problem

In summary, the conversation discussed a circuit operating at 60 Hz with an Emax of 170 V and R of 4.5Ω. The question was how much energy is dissipated in the resistor in 0.75 s. The relevant equations for power, voltage, and current were mentioned and an integral was used to determine the total energy dissipated at time t. After some back and forth, it was determined that the correct integral is V0I0/ω ∫sin2(ωt)dt with limits of 0 and t. It was also suggested to use a dummy variable in the integral.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The circuit in operates at 60 Hz with Emax = 170 V, and R = 4.5Ω .
How much energy is dissipated in the resistor in 0.75 s?

Homework Equations

P = VI
For a circuit like mine with only a power source and resistor, the current and voltage are in phase, so
V = E max sin (ωt)
and
[tex] I = \frac{E_{max} sin(\omega*t)}{R} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I want to know the power dissipated over time, I took an integral [tex] V_{0} I_{0} \int_{0}^{t} sin(\omega t) dt [/tex]
this should give me the total energy dissipated at time t, it doesn't, and I am not sure why.

Physics news on Phys.org
B3NR4Y said:

Homework Statement

The circuit in operates at 60 Hz with Emax = 170 V, and R = 4.5Ω .
How much energy is dissipated in the resistor in 0.75 s?

Homework Equations

P = VI
For a circuit like mine with only a power source and resistor, the current and voltage are in phase, so
V = E max sin (ωt)
and
[tex] I = \frac{E_{max} sin(\omega*t)}{R} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I want to know the power dissipated over time, I took an integral [tex] V_{0} I_{0} \int_{0}^{t} sin(\omega t) dt [/tex]
this should give me the total energy dissipated at time t, it doesn't, and I am not sure why.
You ignored your own expressions for V and I in forming your integral ...

rude man said:
You ignored your own expressions for V and I in forming your integral ...
oh, jeez, it should be
[tex] V_{0} I_{0} \int_{0}^{t} sin^{2}(\omega t) dt [/tex] ?

Likes rude man
B3NR4Y said:
oh, jeez, it should be
[tex] V_{0} I_{0} \int_{0}^{t} sin^{2}(\omega t) dt [/tex] ?
Mucho better!

BTW the integral is easier if you write it as VoIo/ω ∫sin2(ωt)d(ωt) with limits 0 to ωt.
As if I'm not being picky enough, you should also use a dummy variable (like t') in the integral. ∫sin2(ωt')dt' with limits of 0 and t.

Related to Power in an AC Circuit Problem

What is an AC circuit?

An AC (alternating current) circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the current periodically changes direction, typically at a frequency of 50 or 60 Hz. It is commonly used in household and industrial electrical systems.

What is power in an AC circuit?

Power in an AC circuit refers to the rate at which electrical energy is transferred or consumed. It is measured in watts (W) and can be calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I).

How is power calculated in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, the power can be calculated using the following formula: P = Vrms * Irms * cos(θ), where Vrms and Irms are the root mean square values of voltage and current, respectively, and θ is the phase angle between them.

What is the difference between real power and reactive power in an AC circuit?

Real power, also known as active power, is the power that is actually being consumed or transferred in an AC circuit. Reactive power, on the other hand, is the power that is required to maintain the voltage and current in an AC circuit, but is not directly consumed. It is measured in volt-amperes reactive (VAR).

How does power factor affect an AC circuit?

Power factor is a measure of how efficiently an AC circuit uses electrical power. A power factor of 1 means that all the power is being used effectively, while a power factor less than 1 means that some of the power is being wasted. A low power factor can cause issues such as increased energy costs and reduced system efficiency.