Output power (torque-rotation) equivalent inertia

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equivalent inertia problems and how to calculate the equivalent moment of inertia on a given shaft. It also introduces a new approach using output power and known information about the system. The conversation also clarifies a mistake made regarding the formula for torque and provides a revised attempt at a solution.
Adriano Marcato

Homework Statement

A lot of people are familiar with equivalent inertia problems, where you have a drive train and inertia on different axis and you calculate the equivalent inertia on whichever shaft you want. This time I (try to) bring something new, trying to associate the output power to the equivalent moment of inertia on the input.

The system and the known information are shown bellow. Let's assume T1 is the driving torque and we want to get an equivalent inertia of the shafts AND the output torque T2
upload_2017-6-23_9-56-31.png

Homework Equations

T = I*ω
EK = (I*ω2)/2
P=T*ω
ω2*r1 = ω2*r2

The Attempt at a Solution

By means of equivalent kinetic energy, I've come to the following expression:
Ieq = I1 + I2*r1/r2 + T21/(ω2)2
I've been trying to eliminate the rotational speed in the last term.

Physics news on Phys.org
Torque = I*alpha {angular accel} not I*ω {angluar velocity}

Oh! indeed, I am sorry for the mistake. I meant to include a point above.
Please consider
Formula: T = I*α
Attempt at solution: Ieq = I1 + I2*r1/r2 + T21/(α2)2
Try to cancel the alphas on the last term.

Related to Output power (torque-rotation) equivalent inertia

1. What is output power (torque-rotation) equivalent inertia?

Output power (torque-rotation) equivalent inertia is a measure of the resistance to change in rotational motion of a system due to its mass and distribution of mass. It is also known as rotational inertia or moment of inertia.

2. How is output power (torque-rotation) equivalent inertia calculated?

Output power (torque-rotation) equivalent inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The resulting value is a measure of the object's resistance to changes in rotational motion.

3. Why is output power (torque-rotation) equivalent inertia important?

Output power (torque-rotation) equivalent inertia is important because it affects the performance and efficiency of rotating systems. It determines how much torque is required to accelerate or decelerate an object and how quickly it can change its rotational speed.

4. How does output power (torque-rotation) equivalent inertia impact the operation of engines and motors?

Output power (torque-rotation) equivalent inertia plays a crucial role in the operation of engines and motors. It affects the amount of torque required to start and maintain rotational motion, as well as the acceleration and braking capabilities of the system. A higher inertia can result in slower response times and decreased efficiency.

5. How can output power (torque-rotation) equivalent inertia be optimized in a system?

Output power (torque-rotation) equivalent inertia can be optimized by carefully designing and distributing the mass of the system. By minimizing the distance of mass from the axis of rotation and reducing unnecessary mass, the inertia can be reduced and the performance and efficiency of the system can be improved.