Out of school for years, but now

In summary, the conversation is about someone who has been out of high school for 18 years and is currently struggling with college algebra. They are looking for extra steps or resources to help them remember theorems and practice solving problems. One person suggests a website called thatquiz.org and another person mentions the importance of having a good understanding of college algebra before moving on to pre-calculus.
kctexas
Hello to all, I have been out of high school for some time now, since 1994 to be exact. So in 18 years I haven't had any direct contact with any algebra or any such math in some time. Actually I can't remember the last time I was asked to do an equation; until now. I'm currently at a CC and college algebra, while not too hard to understand is actually taking some time to come back to me. Can anyone here give some advice as to what extra steps I can take to remember theorems? Or maybe a website that actually gives problems to solve? I've searched a few websites, but they only mainly help if you already have a problem not actually giving problems to be solved. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey kctexas and welcome to the forums.

Is this related to a course you are currently doing at your CC? If so do you have a textbook to work out of or access to a library?

http://www.thatquiz.org

this site is pretty cool. you should definitely check it out if you're looking for math problems.

Well I just want to make sure I have a better understanding of College Algebra before the next step, which I believe is pre-calc. It's coming up on the end of the semester.
@ mindheavy thanks for the web addy, I'll check it out.

Hello there,

I can understand your struggle in trying to remember math concepts after being out of school for so long. It is completely normal to feel rusty and in need of some extra practice. My advice to you would be to start by reviewing the basics of algebra, such as solving equations and simplifying expressions. This will help refresh your memory and build a strong foundation for more complex concepts.

In addition, there are many online resources available that offer practice problems and exercises for algebra. Khan Academy, Mathisfun, and Mathplanet are all great websites that provide step-by-step explanations and practice problems for various math topics, including algebra. You can also try searching for specific topics on YouTube, as there are many helpful videos and tutorials available.

Furthermore, I would recommend finding a study group or a tutor who can provide guidance and help clarify any doubts you may have. It is always beneficial to have someone to discuss and work through problems with.

Remember, practice makes perfect. So don't be discouraged if it takes some time to get back into the swing of things. With dedication and persistence, you will be able to remember theorems and excel in college algebra. Best of luck to you!

Related to Out of school for years, but now

1. What are the benefits of returning to school after being out for years?

Returning to school after being out for years can provide numerous benefits, such as expanding your knowledge and skills, increasing job opportunities and potential for higher pay, and boosting your confidence and personal growth.

2. Will my previous education and experience still be relevant?

Yes, your previous education and experience will still be relevant. In fact, many schools offer credit for prior learning and work experience, which can help you save time and money on your degree.

3. How can I balance school with other responsibilities, such as work and family?

Balancing school with other responsibilities can be challenging, but it is possible. Some tips include creating a schedule, communicating with your employer and family about your commitments, and utilizing resources such as online courses and flexible programs.

4. Will I be able to succeed academically after being out of school for so long?

Yes, you can succeed academically after being out of school for years. Many schools offer support services for adult learners, such as tutoring and academic advising. Additionally, your life experience and maturity can be assets in the classroom.

5. What are the potential challenges of returning to school after being out for years?

Potential challenges of returning to school after being out for years may include adjusting to a new learning environment, managing time and responsibilities, and balancing financial considerations. However, with determination and support, these challenges can be overcome.