Our family dog has bad cancer and is to be put to sleep today

In summary: Lots of us can appreciate how hard it is to lose the furry members of the family. :frown: Hang in there.In Summary, our family dog has bad cancer and is to be put to sleep today. We had him as a rescue dog 10 years ago and he has always been a loyal and friendly dog. We shall miss him.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Our family dog has bad cancer and is to be put to sleep today, we had him as rescue dog 10 years ago, he is now 16 years old, he has all ways been a loyal and friendly dog we shall miss him.

Physics news on Phys.org

:cry: Sorry to hear that Wollie! You've just been having a real bad run of luck there lately. Have you been getting too close to Evo?

Lots of us can appreciate how hard it is to lose the furry members of the family. :frown: Hang in there.

Sorry to hear the news Woolie. My thoughts are with you, your family and Benji.

Sad news, Woolie. My wife and I have given up on keeping pets - it's just too wrenching to let them go.

That's sad, Pal, I've been there too, too many times. Never get used to that.

Mom and dad are to upset they did not want to bury him at home, it would be a constant reminder, so i am going to have his ashes.

I'm sorry about your dog. Please don't take this the wrong way. I don't mean anything disrespectful, I'm just curious. I assume you are like most of the people here and you probably don't believe in souls and life after death. Why would you want to keep the ashes? I know when my dog died I was devastated and I cried like a baby all day, but I viewed my dog's body as nothing more than a piece of trash and I threw it in the dumpster. I'm not saying you should do that or that I was right to do that. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are and why you will have your dog cremated and then keep the ashes. I'd like to understand why.

If your dog has bad cancer then you should look at today as the day you get to take away the pain. Cancer is so horrible, so be happy that your dog will not feel the pain. Your dog would thank you for it I'm sure.

That's the battle between feeling and reason, isn't it? To find a way to cope with the inevitable faith of all critters.

Tribdog, I really can not answer that, i guess deep down i have some religious beliefs.

Had the same situation a couple of months ago. Good luck.

wolram said:
Tribdog, I really can not answer that, i guess deep down i have some religious beliefs.

We can't all be perfect

Wolram, I am so sad to hear that. They really are like part of family, they are so loving and trusting and are so devoted to us.

You really are going through a tough time. Know that you have a lot of friends here that care about you very much.

Evo said:
Know that you have a lot of friends here that care about you very much.

and I'm here too.

Evo said:
Wolram, I am so sad to hear that. They really are like part of family, they are so loving and trusting and are so devoted to us.

You really are going through a tough time. Know that you have a lot of friends here that care about you very much.

Awwww, thanks, everyone here is just so cool.

Its such a sad time when one of our furry friends departs. I feel really sorry for your Mom and Dad. Please let them know we are thinking about them.

oh, I'm so sorry, Wolram. Really sorry.

Thanks hypatia, MIH, mom and dad will be lost without benji.

wolram said:
Our family dog has bad cancer and is to be put to sleep today, we had him as rescue dog 10 years ago, he is now 16 years old, he has all ways been a loyal and friendly dog we shall miss him.

=( That's awful. At least you had him longer than my dog. He died at 11.

Sorry to hear that, but at least your in control of it, and its for the right cause, its so much worse when its something like them getting run over.

Related to Our family dog has bad cancer and is to be put to sleep today

What is the prognosis for our dog's cancer?

The prognosis for dogs with cancer can vary depending on the type and stage of cancer, as well as the overall health of the dog. It is best to consult with your veterinarian for a more accurate prognosis for your specific dog.

Is it the right decision to put our dog to sleep?

This is a difficult decision that only you and your family can make. It is important to consider the quality of life for your dog and the potential pain and suffering they may experience if their cancer is not treatable. Your veterinarian can also provide guidance and support in this decision.

Will our other pets be at risk for cancer?

It is possible for certain types of cancer to have a genetic component, but it is not always the case. It is important to discuss any concerns with your veterinarian and to monitor your other pets for any potential symptoms of cancer.

How can we help our dog be more comfortable in their last days?

Your veterinarian can provide advice on how to make your dog more comfortable, such as pain management medication or changes to their diet. It is also important to provide them with plenty of love and attention during this difficult time.

What should we do after our dog has been put to sleep?

It is important to take time to grieve and remember your beloved pet. You may also want to consider options for honoring their memory, such as creating a memorial or donating to a cancer research organization in their name.