Oscillator Max Speed - Calculate Vmax

In summary, the 284 g oscillator has a maximum speed of 97.19 cm/s when its displacement is 0 cm. This can be solved by finding the angular frequency (w) using the equations given and then plugging it into the equation for maximum speed (Vmax = 2pi*f*A), where A is the amplitude of the oscillator. The mass of the oscillator is not necessary for solving this problem.
sktgurl930

Homework Statement

A 284 g oscillator has a speed of 94.86 cm/s when its displacement is 2.98 cm and 74.06 cm/s when its displacement is 5.92 cm. What is the oscillator's maximum speed?

Homework Equations

Vmax=2pi*f*A

The Attempt at a Solution

confused as to wat the AMP would be

Physics news on Phys.org
If you let x = A*sin(w*t) then v = A*w*cos(w*t).

Then you can see that (v/w)^2 + x^2 = A^2.

Thats enough information to solve for w because you have 2 points given:

(v1/w)^2 + x1^2 = (v2/w)^2 + x2^2.

In turn you can solve for A and finally vmax.

I don't see any use for the mass unless there is another part to the problem to find the spring constant or something like that.

When you wrote w, did you mean omega or weight?

ok i solved for w
and i was going to put it into the other equation u gave me for A but i don't kno which V or X to put in for it

v1, x1 : a speed of 94.86 cm/s when its displacement is 2.98 cm
v2, x2 : 74.06 cm/s when its displacement is 5.92 cm

Related to Oscillator Max Speed - Calculate Vmax

What is an oscillator?

An oscillator is a technical term used to describe a device or system that creates regular and repeated movements or fluctuations.

What is "Max Speed" in relation to oscillators?

Max Speed, also known as maximum speed or Vmax, is the highest achievable speed of an oscillator before it reaches its limits and can no longer oscillate.

How is Vmax calculated?

Vmax can be calculated by dividing the frequency of the oscillator (measured in Hz) by the number of cycles per second (also measured in Hz). This will give you the maximum speed in meters per second.

Why is it important to calculate Vmax?

Calculating Vmax is important because it allows us to determine the maximum capabilities of an oscillator, which can help us understand its limitations and potential applications.

What factors can affect the Vmax of an oscillator?

The Vmax of an oscillator can be affected by various factors, including the frequency, amplitude, and damping of the oscillator, as well as external factors such as temperature and friction.