Oscillations of Spring with Viscous Medium

In summary: That gives you your displacement at 3 seconds.In summary, a spring with a spring constant of 12N/m and an attached bob oscillates in a viscous medium with an amplitude of 6cm from the equilibrium position at 1.5s and an amplitude of 5.6cm at 2.5s. The displacement at 3s and 4.5s is determined by plugging in t=3 and t=4.5 into the equation for damped oscillation, x(t)=Ae^(-bt/2m)cos(ωt+Φ), where A is the amplitude, b/m is the damping factor, ω is the angular frequency, and Φ is
robax25

Homework Statement

A spring with K=12N/m and an attached bob oscillates in a viscous medium.Amplitude is 6cm from equilibrium position at 1.5 s and Next amplitude of 5.6 cm occurs at 2.5s. what is its displacement at 3s and 4.5s and t=0s

Homework Equations

x(t)=Xme^-bt/2m

The Attempt at a Solution

x=4.16cm
[/B]

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the oscillating portion of your x(t) expression?

e=0.133 as the ration of decay.

x(t)=xm x .133 and However, I am confused to find Xm(amplitude at 3 s) . I considered Xm=5.2cm at 3s. But, it is a false assumption.

Last edited:
robax25 said:
e=0.133 as the ration of decay.

x(t)=xm x .133 and However, I am confused to find Xm(amplitude at 3 s) . I considered Xm=5.2cm at 3s. But, it is a false assumption.
That is not what scottdave asked. The x(t) expression should have a trigonometric factor to represent the oscillation.

I do not get it. How can I calculate trigonometric factor?

robax25 said:
I do not get it. How can I calculate trigonometric factor?
You know the period. What is the general formula for a damped oscillation?

haruspex said:
You know the period. What is the general formula for a damped oscillation?
x(t)=Xme^-bt/2m here Xm is amplitude, b is damping factor

robax25 said:
So is Xm the amplitude of the cosine wave? Did you look at the hyperphysics link I sent?

I saw it ..they consider a for amplitude.However, I consider Xm

robax25 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

x=4.16cm[/B]
“The attempt at a solution” means your steps and thoughts. Please show effort.

robax25 said:
But clearly that does not produce an oscillation - unless that Xm is also a function of time.
What is the formula for an undamped SHM?

Undamped SHM x(t)=Xmcos(ωt+∅)

for damped Oscillation x(t)=A e^-bt/2m cos(ωt+Φ). I did not notice it properly

Here A is amplitude

robax25 said:
for damped Oscillation x(t)=A e^-bt/2m cos(ωt+Φ). I did not notice it properly

Here A is amplitude
Right.
Now it is a matter of plugging the known facts into that equation to determine A, b/m, ω and φ.
So you need four equations. Knowing the displacement at a given time gives you one, and knowing that this is a local extrememum gives you another. You have that for two different times, giving you four equations altogether.

how can I get the position at 3s?

robax25 said:
how can I get the position at 3s?
Once you have determined the four constants as I described in post #16, you plug t=3 into your equation in post #15.

1. What is the definition of oscillations of spring with viscous medium?

Oscillations of spring with viscous medium refer to the phenomenon where a spring attached to a mass experiences a periodic motion due to the presence of a viscous medium, such as air or liquid.

2. How does the presence of a viscous medium affect the oscillations of a spring?

The presence of a viscous medium causes damping, which refers to the gradual loss of energy in a system due to resistive forces. This results in a decrease in the amplitude of the oscillations and a faster decay of the motion.

3. What is the equation of motion for a spring with a viscous medium?

The equation of motion for a spring with a viscous medium can be represented as:
m¨ + b·x′ + kx = 0
where m is the mass, b is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement, and t is time.

4. How is the damping coefficient of a viscous medium calculated?

The damping coefficient, b, is calculated by dividing the force of damping by the velocity of the object. It is also equal to the product of the damping constant, c, and the mass of the object, b = c·m.

5. What is the relationship between the damping coefficient and the amplitude of oscillation?

The damping coefficient is directly proportional to the amplitude of oscillation. This means that as the damping coefficient increases, the amplitude of oscillation decreases, resulting in a faster decay of the motion.