Oscillation and Moment of inertia

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a pendulum with a solid metal sphere attached to a thin metal rod. The pendulum's pivot point is located at the upper end of the thin rod, and it has a period of oscillation of 1.40 s. The goal is to find the radius of the sphere. The equations used include the moment of inertia, angular velocity, and center of mass. However, there were errors in the given equations, specifically for the moment of inertia and the distance of the center of mass from the pivot point. After correcting these equations and using the quadratic formula, the correct answer for the radius was found to be 10.8 cm.
tempneff

Homework Statement

A pendulum is constructed of a solid metal sphere of
mass M = 4.00 kg, attached to a thin metal rod of mass
m = 1.00 kg and length L = 40.0 cm. The pivot point for
the pendulum is at the upper end of the thin rod. The
pendulum oscillates through a small angle with a period
of T = 1.40 s. Find the radius of the sphere.

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega^2=\frac{I}{mgd}\hspace{15pt}\omega=\frac{2\∏}{T}\\I=\frac{1}{3}M_{rod}L^2+\frac{2}{5}M_{sphere}R^2(L+R)^2[/tex]Center of Mass[tex]=\frac{m_1d_1+m_2d_2...m_nd_n}{m_{total}}[/tex]
For d I used the distance from the center of mass to the pivot point[tex]\frac{L}{2}+R[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have filled in all known values leaving only R, then solved for R using the quadratic formula.
My professor gave use 10.8 cm as an answer. I am getting ~30cm. This should be straight forward right? Chug and Plug?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your equations. Neither the one for the moment of inertia nor that for d (distance of CM from the pivot) are correct.

ehild

Okay so this is my final equation, but I'm still not getting it right. What am I doing wrong.
[itex]\omega^2=\frac{\frac{1}{3}L^2+\frac{2}{5}M_{sph}R^2+M_{sph}(L+R)^2}{M_{total}g(\frac{\frac{1}{2}LM_{rod}+RM_{sph}}{M_{total}})}[/itex]

The CM is still wrong. How far is the centre of the sphere from the pivot?
The mass of the rod is missing in the numerator. ehild

I would like to first commend you for attempting to solve this problem using the relevant equations. However, it seems that you may have made a mistake in your calculations. It is important to double check your work and make sure that all units are consistent.

Additionally, it is important to understand the physical meaning behind the equations you are using. In this case, the moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, and it depends on the mass distribution and the distance from the axis of rotation. The equation for the moment of inertia that you have used is for a solid sphere, but in this case, the sphere is attached to a rod and the mass is not uniformly distributed.

I would recommend using the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia of an object can be calculated by adding the moment of inertia of the object about its center of mass to the product of its mass and the square of the distance between the center of mass and the axis of rotation. This will give you a more accurate value for the moment of inertia in this scenario.

Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a diagram and label all the known values to better visualize the problem. And as always, make sure to check your units and use the correct formula for the given situation.

In conclusion, while chugging and plugging may be a useful approach in some cases, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the concepts and equations being used to solve a problem. I would recommend reviewing the relevant concepts and equations and double checking your calculations to get a more accurate answer.

Related to Oscillation and Moment of inertia

1. What is oscillation and how does it relate to moment of inertia?

Oscillation refers to the back-and-forth motion of an object around a central point or equilibrium position. Moment of inertia, on the other hand, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. The moment of inertia of an object affects its oscillation because it determines how easy or difficult it is for the object to rotate.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for different shapes?

The moment of inertia for a point mass is simply the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. However, for more complex shapes, the moment of inertia is calculated using integrals. The formula for moment of inertia varies depending on the shape of the object, such as a rod, disk, or sphere.

3. What factors affect the oscillation of an object?

The oscillation of an object is affected by several factors, including the object's mass, stiffness, and the force acting on it. The moment of inertia also plays a role in the oscillation, as it affects the object's rotational motion. The shape and size of the object can also impact its oscillation.

4. How does moment of inertia affect the stability of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object determines its rotational stability. Objects with a higher moment of inertia are more stable and less likely to tip or rotate. This is because they have a larger resistance to changes in their rotational motion. For example, a tall and thin object will have a higher moment of inertia and be less stable compared to a short and wide object with the same mass.

5. How is oscillation used in real-life applications?

Oscillation has many real-life applications, including in clocks, pendulums, and musical instruments. For example, the swinging pendulum of a clock oscillates back and forth at a constant rate, allowing us to measure time. In musical instruments, the oscillation of strings, air columns, or membranes create different pitches and tones. Oscillation is also used in engineering and construction to analyze and design stable structures.