Orthogonality of Hermite functions

In summary, the Hermite functions are an orthogonal system, and for any ##m\ne n##, the equation \phi_n'' + (1-x^2)\phi_n = -2n\phi_n can be solved for ##x##.
DavideGenoa
Hi, friends! I want to show that Hermite functions, defined by ##\varphi_n(x)=(-1)^n e^{x^2/2}\frac{d^n e^{-x^2}}{dx^n}##, ##n\in\mathbb{N}## are an orthogonal system, i.e. that, for any ##m\ne n##,

##\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{x^2} \frac{d^m e^{-x^2}}{dx^m} \frac{d^n e^{-x^2}}{dx^n}=0 ##​

I have tried by integrating by parts, but I am landing nowhere...
Thank you so much for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try induction?

Likes DavideGenoa
You can use the generating function and reduce the whole integral to a doable one.

Likes DavideGenoa
I note that [tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n(x)\phi_m(x)\,dx = \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-x^2}H_n(x)H_m(x)\,dx = 2\sqrt{\pi}n!\delta_{nm}.[/tex] The second equality can be established by applying Sturm-Liouville theory to the Hermite equation [tex]H_n'' - 2xH_n' = -2nH_n.[/tex]

Likes DavideGenoa
Thank you all so much!
@dextercioby and pasmith: Regrettably, I do not know anything of Sturm-Liouville theory or generating functions...
@mfb: I am not sure how we could use induction with ##m## and ##n##... I think that integration by parts is the key, but I am not able to manipulate the integral to get the desired result...

The best way is the one suggested by pasmith because you won't do any integration.
So I suggest you read Sturm-Liouville theory chapter of Mathematical methods for physicists by Arfken.

Likes DavideGenoa
pasmith said:
I note that [tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n(x)\phi_m(x)\,dx = \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-x^2}H_n(x)H_m(x)\,dx = 2\sqrt{\pi}n!\delta_{nm}.[/tex] The second equality can be established by applying Sturm-Liouville theory to the Hermite equation [tex]H_n'' - 2xH_n' = -2nH_n.[/tex]

Or, since [itex]\phi_n = e^{-\frac12x^2}H_n[/itex], substitution yields [tex]
\phi_n'' + (1 - x^2)\phi_n = -2n\phi_n.[/tex] Multiplying by [itex]\phi_m[/itex] and integrating over the real line gives [tex]
\int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n''\phi_m + (1 - x^2)\phi_n\phi_m\,dx = -2n\int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n \phi_m\,dx.
[/tex] Integrating the first term on the left by parts twice yields [tex]
\int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n \phi_m'' + (1 - x^2)\phi_n\phi_m\,dx = -2n\int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n \phi_m\,dx
[/tex] and since [itex]\phi_m'' + (1-x^2)\phi_m = -2m\phi_m[/itex] we have [tex]
-2m \int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n \phi_m\,dx = -2n\int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n \phi_m\,dx[/tex] or
[tex]2(n - m)\int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n \phi_m\,dx = 0.[/tex]

Likes Quantumjump, DavideGenoa, ShayanJ and 1 other person
DavideGenoa said:
@mfb: I am not sure how we could use induction with ##m## and ##n##... I think that integration by parts is the key, but I am not able to manipulate the integral to get the desired result...
It was a guess, as those things easily transform to n+-1 or m+-1 and so on via partial integration. We have much nicer solutions here now.

Likes DavideGenoa
I thank you all very much!

Related to Orthogonality of Hermite functions

1. What is the concept of orthogonality in relation to Hermite functions?

The concept of orthogonality of Hermite functions refers to the mathematical property where two distinct functions are perpendicular to each other when plotted on a graph. This means that the integral of the product of two Hermite functions over a certain range is equal to zero, indicating that they are independent of each other.

2. How is orthogonality of Hermite functions used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, Hermite functions are used to describe the probability distribution of particles in a potential well. The orthogonality of these functions allows for the calculation of the probability of a particle being in a certain energy state, which is essential in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

3. Can Hermite functions be used to approximate other functions?

Yes, Hermite functions can be used as a basis for approximating other functions. This means that any continuous function can be expressed as a linear combination of Hermite functions, making them a useful tool for solving differential equations and other mathematical problems.

4. How are Hermite functions related to the Gaussian distribution?

Hermite functions are closely related to the Gaussian distribution, also known as the normal distribution. This is because the probability density function of a Gaussian distribution is proportional to the squared magnitude of a Hermite function. This relationship is often used in statistics and data analysis.

5. Are there any practical applications of Hermite functions?

Yes, Hermite functions have many practical applications in the fields of physics, mathematics, and engineering. They are used in signal processing, image processing, and data compression, among other areas. They are also useful in solving problems in quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and wave mechanics.