Orthogonality: intuition challenged.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of orthogonality and its application in image transforms, specifically in 2D. While it may seem that the maximum number of orthogonal bases in 2D is 2, image processing involves transforms such as Hadamard and Haar that can have up to 8 orthogonal bases. There is confusion on how this is possible in a 2D context, especially when considering sampled and quantized digital images. The conversation also touches on the definition of "bases" and how it relates to linear geometry. The individual expresses their difficulty in understanding this concept and suggests seeking clarification in a Digital Image Processing Forum.
stabu
I'm dealing with image transforms.These are of course 2D.

I always thought orthogonality was the same as perpendicularity, so the max number of orthogonal bases you could come up with in 2D is 2.

However, image processing is full of transforms such as Hadamard, Haar, etc. that can have often 8 different bases. Trouble is, they are described as orthogonal. How can you have 8 bases that are orthogonal to each other if we are in 2D all the time?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "bases" here? If you are referring to "bases" as in linear geometry, of course, you can have any number of "orthogonal bases", each containing two vectors. the vectors in different bases may not be orthogonal to one another.

Hi HallsofIvy,

Thanks for the response. Sorry, the term is basis, rather than base. In the 1D case you have a set of basis functions that can represent the original function.

I'm also talking about sampled and quantized digital image that may be represented by a 2-D matrix. It's not quite linear geometry, maybe that's why I'm finding it difficult to understand ...

I've been over and over several textbook on this orthogonality issue. One condition is that the inner product of the basis functions need be zero to be considered orthogonal. That seems to be clear .. I dunno, perhaps the digital context changes the way orthogonality can be seen.

Sorry for the surmising. I suppose I really need to go to a Digial Image Processing Forum for this one.

Many thanks anyway.

Related to Orthogonality: intuition challenged.

1. What is orthogonality?

Orthogonality refers to the relationship between two things that are perpendicular or at right angles to each other. In mathematics, it often refers to the independence of variables in a system or the absence of correlation between two sets of data. In computer science, it is used to describe the independence of different components in a system.

2. How is orthogonality used in computer science?

In computer science, orthogonality is used to design systems that are modular and maintainable. By ensuring that different components of a system are independent and do not interfere with each other, changes can be made to one component without affecting the rest of the system. This makes it easier to debug and update software, leading to more efficient and reliable systems.

3. What are some common challenges to understanding orthogonality?

One common challenge to understanding orthogonality is grasping the concept of independence and how it relates to different components in a system. Another challenge is understanding how orthogonality can be applied in different fields, such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. Additionally, the abstract nature of the concept can make it difficult for some people to visualize and apply in practical situations.

4. How can orthogonality be beneficial in problem-solving?

Orthogonality can be beneficial in problem-solving by allowing for a more systematic and efficient approach. By breaking down a complex problem into smaller, independent components, it becomes easier to analyze and solve each component separately. This can also help identify potential sources of error or bugs in a system.

5. Can orthogonality be violated in a system?

Yes, orthogonality can be violated in a system if there is interference or dependence between different components. This can lead to unexpected behavior and make it difficult to make changes or updates to the system. It is important for designers and developers to consider orthogonality when creating systems to avoid potential issues in the future.