Orthogonal Transformations with Eigenvalue 1

In summary, we can prove that an orthogonal transformation T in Rm has 1 as an eigenvalue if the determinant of T equals 1 and m is odd. If m is even, T may not necessarily have eigenvalues since its minimal polynomial may be multiples of powers of irreducible quadratics.
e(ho0n3
Homework Statement
Prove that an orthogonal transformation T in Rm has 1 as an eigenvalue if the determinant of T equals 1 and m is odd. What can you say if m is even?

The attempt at a solution
I know that I can write Rm as the direct sum of irreducible invariant subspaces W1, W2, ..., Ws which are mutually orthogonal and have dimension 1 or 2. They can't all have dimension 2 for otherwise m would be even. Thus, there is at least one with dimension 1, say W1. For any nonzero w in W1, T(w) = w or T(w) = -w. In the former case, we're done. The latter case is giving me problems though. If T has -1 as an eigenvalue, I imagine that the determinant of T will not be 1 anymore (since I haven't used this fact), but I don't understand how. Any tips?

Oh, and if m is even I imagine that T may not necessarily have eigenvalues since it's minimal polynomial may be multiples of powers of irreducible quadratics.

Physics news on Phys.org
e(ho0n3 said:
Prove that an orthogonal transformation T in Rm has 1 as an eigenvalue if the determinant of T equals 1 and m is odd. What can you say if m is even?

I know that I can write Rm as the direct sum of irreducible invariant subspaces W1, W2, ..., Ws which are mutually orthogonal and have dimension 1 or 2. They can't all have dimension 2 for otherwise m would be even. Thus, there is at least one with dimension 1, say W1.…. Any tips?

Hi e(ho0n3! :smile:

Hint: you haven't yet use the fact that the determinant is the product of the individual determinants. :wink:

And where would I use that fact exactly? I'm not calculating the determinant of a product as far as I know.

e(ho0n3 said:
And where would I use that fact exactly? I'm not calculating the determinant of a product as far as I know.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem …

but what can you say about the determinant of one irreducible subspace? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem …

but what can you say about the determinant of one irreducible subspace? :smile:
Nothing. Determinants are defined for matrices and linear transformations, not subspaces. Hmm...but now you've made me think of the following:

Since we're told that the determinant of T is 1, does that mean the determinant of the restriction of T to each irreducible subspace is 1 as well? I know that for an irreducible subspace of dimension 2, T has determinant equal to 1. For an irreducible subspace of dimension 1, then it could be 1 or -1 depending on the eigenvalue of T on this subspace. Right?

e(ho0n3 said:
I know that for an irreducible subspace of dimension 2, T has determinant equal to 1

Exactly! :smile:

And there's an odd number of dimension-1 subspaces, so … ? :wink:

So, if the determinant of T on each of the dimension-1 subspaces is -1, then the determinant of T on the direct sum of these one-dimensional subspaces is -1, right? (And also analogously for the two-dimensional subspaces.) Let's write Rm = U + V where U is the direct sum of the one-dimensional subspaces and V is the direct sum of the two-dimensional subspaces. Since the determinant of T on U is -1 and the determinant of T on V is 1, does that mean the determinant of T on U + V is -1?

e(ho0n3 said:
… Since the determinant of T on U is -1 and the determinant of T on V is 1, does that mean the determinant of T on U + V is -1?

Yes …

so how many of the individual 1-dimensional subspaces can have negative determinant? :smile:

An even number of them. So we have at least one 1-dimensional subspace where T has determinant 1 and so T has eigenvalue 1. Right?

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

Thanks a lot for your help.

Related to Orthogonal Transformations with Eigenvalue 1

What are orthogonal transformations with eigenvalue 1?

Orthogonal transformations with eigenvalue 1 are linear transformations that preserve the length and angle of vectors. This means that the transformation does not distort the shape or orientation of the original vector.

Why is an eigenvalue of 1 important in orthogonal transformations?

An eigenvalue of 1 in an orthogonal transformation indicates that the transformation is a rotation or reflection. This is because the transformation does not change the magnitude of the vector, only its direction. Therefore, the vector will remain the same after the transformation if its eigenvalue is 1.

What is the significance of orthogonal transformations with eigenvalue 1 in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, orthogonal transformations with eigenvalue 1 play a crucial role in understanding the properties of matrices and their transformations. These transformations are used to solve systems of equations, find basis vectors, and diagonalize matrices.

How do you determine if a matrix has an orthogonal transformation with eigenvalue 1?

A matrix has an orthogonal transformation with eigenvalue 1 if it satisfies the equation Av = v, where A is the matrix and v is the eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue 1. This means that the transformation of the vector v by the matrix A results in the same vector v.

Can orthogonal transformations have eigenvalues other than 1?

Yes, orthogonal transformations can have eigenvalues other than 1. However, these eigenvalues will not preserve the length and angle of vectors. Instead, they will result in a scaling or shearing transformation, which will change the size and shape of the vector.