Original Physics Experiment Ideas: Building a Resonance Column in Four Days

• Thread starter Lianah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help for an original experiment idea for their physics project. They suggest building a resonance column but their teacher deems it too complicated. Another member suggests using a non-linear pendulum, which is not often seen in undergraduate studies, and offers to help solve it using "elliptical" functions.
Lianah
Please, Please Help Me Out! Ideas, Ideas

My physics group has been given an PROJECT to come up with some original experiment ideas . The experiment needs to be recording a 'sensible' variable. I came up with a great idea of building a resonance collumn, like a matchstick building and trying to see at which frequencies it becomes unstable.
My teacher said it was a 2nd yr university project, really complicated,blah.
Anyway, we have just 4 more days to come up with ideas of original, not textbook experiments and i was wondering whether anybody has any gr8 suggestions. I'm sort of in a panic now so PLEASE help out :confused:
Any help will be appreciated o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, how about the non-linear pendulum:

[tex]\frac{d^2\theta}{d t^2} + (g/L)\sin{\theta} = 0[/tex]

Don't see this one much in undergrad (I think). Did you know it can be used to model the motion of a pendulum on a rigid rod that you push so hard it goes round and round? Well I'm pretty sure, never comparred the calculations, which I've done, to a real pendulum. Maybe you can though? Anyway if you choose to use it, either me or the group here can show you how to solve it in terms of "elliptical" functions (not complicated).

Building a resonance column in just four days can be a challenging task, but it is definitely achievable with the right approach. Here are a few ideas that you can consider for your experiment:

1. Investigating the effects of different materials on resonance: Instead of using a traditional resonance column made of glass, you can explore the effects of using different materials such as plastic, metal, or wood. This can be done by constructing resonance columns using these materials and comparing their resonance frequencies.

2. Measuring the speed of sound using a resonance column: You can use the resonance column to measure the speed of sound in air. This can be done by varying the length of the column and observing the corresponding resonance frequencies. By using the formula v = fλ, where v is the speed of sound, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength, you can calculate the speed of sound.

3. Investigating the relationship between air pressure and resonance: The speed of sound is affected by the air pressure, and you can explore this relationship by changing the air pressure in the resonance column and measuring the corresponding changes in resonance frequencies.

4. Exploring the effects of temperature on resonance: Another variable that affects the speed of sound is temperature. You can investigate this relationship by varying the temperature of the air in the resonance column and observing the changes in resonance frequencies.

5. Building a musical instrument using a resonance column: You can take your experiment a step further by using the resonance column to create a musical instrument. By changing the length of the column, you can produce different musical notes and explore the principles of sound and music.

Remember, the key to a successful experiment is to have a clear hypothesis, a well-designed procedure, and accurate data collection and analysis. With just four days, it is important to keep your ideas simple and feasible. Good luck!

Related to Original Physics Experiment Ideas: Building a Resonance Column in Four Days

1. What is "Please, Help Me Out Ideas, Ideas" about?

"Please, Help Me Out Ideas, Ideas" is a phrase that suggests a person is seeking assistance or inspiration for new ideas. It could refer to brainstorming sessions, creative problem-solving, or simply asking for suggestions on what to do or create.

2. How can I come up with new ideas?

There are many different strategies for generating new ideas. Some people find it helpful to take breaks and engage in activities that allow their minds to relax and wander, like going for a walk or listening to music. Others find it useful to write down all their ideas, even if they seem silly or impossible at first. Collaborating with others and seeking inspiration from different sources can also be effective ways to come up with new ideas.

3. What can I do if I feel stuck and can't come up with any ideas?

If you're feeling stuck, try taking a step back and looking at the problem or task from a different perspective. You can also try setting a time limit and forcing yourself to come up with a certain number of ideas within that time. Another option is to seek inspiration from outside sources, such as books, articles, or discussions with others.

4. How can I make sure my ideas are unique and original?

It can be challenging to come up with truly original ideas, as most ideas are built upon existing concepts or experiences. However, you can try to make your ideas unique by combining different elements or approaching a problem from a unique angle. It's also important to do research and make sure your idea hasn't already been thought of or implemented by someone else.

5. How can I turn my ideas into reality?

Once you have a solid idea, the next step is to develop a plan and take action to bring it to life. This may involve conducting further research, creating prototypes or drafts, seeking feedback and making revisions, and finding resources or support to help you execute your idea. It's important to stay motivated and persistent, as bringing an idea to fruition often takes time and effort.