Physics Research Project Ideas (First year physics course)

In summary, two first year physics majors are required to conduct a research experiment as part of their course. They are struggling to come up with an idea that is both feasible for their level of knowledge and advanced enough for a university-level project. They are considering predicting the orbital types of comets and asteroids using existing data, but are unsure if this qualifies as "research." They must first get approval from their professor before submitting their proposal. Any suggestions or ideas from others would be greatly appreciated.
codymcleod
Hello. I am a first year physics major, and a major component of the first year physics course (for physics majors) is a research project. With a partner, I am supposed to conduct a research experiment in the broad field of physics. The proposal for this project is due friday, in which we must state the theory behind the experiment, the purpose and method of conducting the experiment and a rough schedule of how we will conduct the experiment. My partner and I still have not come up with an idea, and we must first contact our professor and have him approve of our idea before we begin our proposal. Does anyone have any ideas for what we could do for this project? We havn't been able to come up with an idea that seems realistic for our level of physics knowledge, yet is advanced enough for a university level research project. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
My partner and I were considering predicting the orbital types of various comets and asteroids using the data provided by various sources regarding these comets and asteroids's positions at various times. However, this only involves calculations, and no real "research" from us. Does this seem like a viable idea for a project?

Related to Physics Research Project Ideas (First year physics course)

1. What are some good research project ideas for a first year physics course?

There are many potential research project ideas that are suitable for a first year physics course. Some examples include investigating the physics behind roller coasters, exploring the properties of sound waves, or studying the behavior of magnets.

2. How do I choose a research project topic in physics?

When choosing a research project topic in physics, it's important to consider your interests and strengths. You may also want to consult with your professor or classmates for ideas and suggestions.

3. What are the steps involved in conducting a physics research project?

The steps involved in conducting a physics research project may vary depending on the specific topic, but generally include identifying a research question, conducting background research, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

4. Can I conduct a physics research project without access to a laboratory?

While many physics research projects do involve laboratory work, there are also many projects that can be conducted using simulations or data analysis techniques. It's best to consult with your professor to find a suitable project that fits your resources and abilities.

5. How can I present my physics research project findings effectively?

There are various ways to present your physics research project findings, including written reports, oral presentations, and posters. It's important to clearly and concisely communicate your research question, methods, results, and conclusions to your audience.