Origin of the half factor in Euler-Lagrange for geodesics

In summary, the 1/2 factor in the Euler-Lagrange equation arises from taking the derivative of the square root in the Lagrangian, which also acts as a contraction. This explains the sign ambiguity and is assumed to be true in most books.
Alex Petrosyan
I was wondering where does the 1/2 factor come from in the Euler-Lagrange equation, that is:
[tex]
L = \sqrt{g_{\mu \nu} \dot{x}^\mu \dot{x}^\nu}
[/tex]

implies that [tex] \partial_\mu L = \pm \frac{1}{2} (\partial_\mu g_{\mu \nu} \dot{x}^\mu \dot{x}^\nu )[/tex]

I'm not sure I entirely understand where it comes from. Intuitively, it might be because taking the partial derivative also is a contraction, but every book I've looked in, simply assumes this is true, and I don't understand how.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Doesn't it comes from the derivative of the square root?

Likes Alex Petrosyan
@Vanadium 50 , that would also explain the sign ambiguity.

Related to Origin of the half factor in Euler-Lagrange for geodesics

1. What is the half factor in the Euler-Lagrange equation for geodesics?

The half factor in the Euler-Lagrange equation for geodesics refers to the coefficient of the second derivative term in the equation. It is denoted by 1/2 and is a fundamental part of the equation used to find the shortest path between two points on a curved surface.

2. Why is there a half factor in the Euler-Lagrange equation for geodesics?

The half factor is necessary in the Euler-Lagrange equation for geodesics because it helps to balance out the two terms in the equation. Without it, the equation would not accurately represent the curvature of the surface and would not give the correct path between two points.

3. How is the half factor derived in the Euler-Lagrange equation for geodesics?

The derivation of the half factor in the Euler-Lagrange equation for geodesics involves the use of variational calculus and the principle of least action. By minimizing the action functional, the half factor is obtained as a natural consequence of the derivation process.

4. Can the half factor be omitted in the Euler-Lagrange equation for geodesics?

No, the half factor cannot be omitted in the Euler-Lagrange equation for geodesics. As mentioned earlier, it is a crucial part of the equation and omitting it would result in an incorrect solution. Attempting to omit the half factor would also violate the principle of least action and lead to an inconsistent solution.

5. What is the significance of the half factor in the Euler-Lagrange equation for geodesics?

The half factor is significant because it helps to accurately represent the geometry of a curved surface in the Euler-Lagrange equation for geodesics. It ensures that the shortest path between two points is found by balancing out the effects of curvature and minimizing the action functional. Without the half factor, the equation would not give the correct solution and would not be a valid representation of geodesics.