Origin of Spin 1/2: Exploring Quantum Field Theory

In summary: I remember being taught that the spin of a particle was related to the direction of its angular momentum. Can you please explain what you mean by this?The direction of a particle's angular momentum is related to its spin.
cabrera
Dear Forum,

I would like to understand what the origin of spin 1/2 is. I read in Feynman's lectures that the origin is related to quantum field theory. I know nothing about quantum field theory. Is there an easy explanation?

Thanks Cabrera

Physics news on Phys.org
The origin of spin is not in quantum field theory, but in ordinary non-relativistis quantum mechanics. The correct treatment of spin 1/2 is found however in quantum field theory. And no, normally there's no easy explanation about this.

Could anybody suggest a link for an introduction in quantum field theory?

regards,
Cabrera

The shortest explanation I know is related to the structure of the SO(3,1) symmetry group of Minkowski spacetime. On can show that this symmetry group is related to SU(2) * SU(2) which alowes for half-integer representation. That means that Lorentz symmetry allows for half-integer spins.

tom.stoer said:
The shortest explanation I know is related to the structure of the SO(3,1) symmetry group of Minkowski spacetime. On can show that this symmetry group is related to SU(2) * SU(2) which alowes for half-integer representation. That means that Lorentz symmetry allows for half-integer spins.

Can anyone explain what spin 1, 1/2, -1/2 actually mean?

I'm not asking to know their mathematical origin, but what this spins physically mean?
What physical property a particle has to have to be rewarded with spin 1 or spin 1/2.

photon has spin 1/2
Z boson has spin 1

What physical property Z boson has but photon does not have?
I once read some where, the spin does not mean physical spin of the particle.
Then where does spin angular momentum comes from?

Or is it the other way around? From spin (extra) angular momentum, which is measurable, physicists determine its spin number?

An inquiring mind wants to know.

Neandethal00 said:
Can anyone explain what spin 1, 1/2, -1/2 actually mean?

I'm not asking to know their mathematical origin, but what this spins physically mean?
What physical property a particle has to have to be rewarded with spin 1 or spin 1/2.

photon has spin 1/2
Z boson has spin 1

What physical property Z boson has but photon does not have?
I once read some where, the spin does not mean physical spin of the particle.
Then where does spin angular momentum comes from?

Or is it the other way around? From spin (extra) angular momentum, which is measurable, physicists determine its spin number?

An inquiring mind wants to know.

Before you continue with this line of questioning, ask yourself whether you can explain what an apple really means. What is it really?

If you think that you can only explain what an apple is via a list of properties and characteristics on what an apple is, then you have just discovered why what you are requesting makes no sense. To completely rule out the mathematical description of spin is to completely rule out using "fruits" as a category to explain what an apple is.

Zz.

The problem is that usually we think about orbital angular momentum of a rotating massive body:

[tex]\vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p}[/tex]

From this equation we can derive several properties of rbital angular momentum, e.g. that it "generates rotations", that two rotations with different axes of rotation "do not commute", that "orbital angular momentum is consvered" (given that certain symmetries hold) etc. I think in that sense we can explain what spin 1, 1/2, ... actually mean".

Now replace

[tex]\vec{L} \to \vec{S} [/tex]

but forget about

[tex]\ldots = \vec{r} \times \vec{p}[/tex]

while keeping most of the other statements. Now you have to explain again what spin actually means.

I assume you know that the number 1/2, 1 etc just describes the numbering sequence for the quantum states in units of h?
Apart from that, spin is just a quantum property that has some of the characteristics we associate with spinning objects in the big world.

IMO it probably IS spin -it's just that there are so many fine states in a macroscopic object we don't see the quantum effects. Trying to argue it backwards from the macroscopic experience to 'explain' the fundamental behaviour is like trying to stuff smoke back in a cigarette.

for spin 1/2 particles it is necessary to know dirac eqn(weyl eqn for massless spin 1/2) to know what is from which it really comes from.In case,maxwell eqn can also be written in form similar to dirac eqn but it is possible to show that they describe a spin-1 character rather.

AJ Bentley said:
I assume you know that the number 1/2, 1 etc just describes the numbering sequence for the quantum states in units of h?
Apart from that, spin is just a quantum property that has some of the characteristics we associate with spinning objects in the big world.

IMO it probably IS spin -it's just that there are so many fine states in a macroscopic object we don't see the quantum effects. Trying to argue it backwards from the macroscopic experience to 'explain' the fundamental behaviour is like trying to stuff smoke back in a cigarette.

In my student years, when dinosaurs roamed the planet, I used to imagine a particle is physically spinning in certain way, back and forth, 180O or 360O, which gives it 1/2, -1/2, 1, etc spin values. That was the only way I could relate this spins to physical world. I think imagination or drawing a mental picture for visualization is a good way to learn about things that we can not see.

Now I see there are many mathematical quantities (or variables) that have no physical counterparts.

Neandethal00 said:
Now I see there are many mathematical quantities (or variables) that have no physical counterparts.

... no [STRIKE]physical[/STRIKE] visualizable counterparts; they are physicakl in the sense that they are measurable![/QUOTE]

Neandethal00 said:
photon has spin 1/2
Z boson has spin 1

Photon has spin 1, the same as Z boson. Photon is a boson, so it must have integer spin. Half integer spin is possible only for fermions.

The number 0, 1/2, 1 or 2 tell you how much is the wave function of a particle rotated when you turn it by 360 degrees. Please note this is not about rotating some point like object, byt an actual wave in a field. The wave has a complex phase and this phase is changing if you rotate the wave.

If you rotate the wave by 360 degrees and the wave is rotated only by 50%, this particle has spin 1/2. If the wave is rotated by 100%, the spin is 1. If the wave is rotated by 200% (i.e. the phase changed fully twice during the 360 degree "revolution"), the spin is 2.

So the spin is associated with the structure of the wave and is closely connected to the features of the field. Spin 0 fields are scalar (they have a single value in each point of space), spin 1 fields are vector fields (they have a direction and magnitude in each point of space), spin 2 fields are tensor fields (they are more complicated in each point of space).

Likes Molar
mpv_plate said:
Photon has spin 1, the same as Z boson. Photon is a boson, so it must have integer spin. Half integer spin is possible only for fermions.

The number 0, 1/2, 1 or 2 tell you how much is the wave function of a particle rotated when you turn it by 360 degrees. Please note this is not about rotating some point like object, byt an actual wave in a field. The wave has a complex phase and this phase is changing if you rotate the wave.

If you rotate the wave by 360 degrees and the wave is rotated only by 50%, this particle has spin 1/2. If the wave is rotated by 100%, the spin is 1. If the wave is rotated by 200% (i.e. the phase changed fully twice during the 360 degree "revolution"), the spin is 2.

So the spin is associated with the structure of the wave and is closely connected to the features of the field. Spin 0 fields are scalar (they have a single value in each point of space), spin 1 fields are vector fields (they have a direction and magnitude in each point of space), spin 2 fields are tensor fields (they are more complicated in each point of space).
So "spin" can be visualized as the rotation of the wave function of a particle? That's a good start for me but what "wave function" does something like a proton/neutron have exactly?

Related to Origin of Spin 1/2: Exploring Quantum Field Theory

1. What is spin 1/2 in quantum field theory?

Spin 1/2 is a quantum property that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle in the language of quantum field theory. It is a fundamental characteristic of elementary particles and is a crucial aspect of their behavior and interactions.

2. How was the concept of spin 1/2 discovered?

The concept of spin 1/2 was first proposed by Paul Dirac in 1928 when he was trying to reconcile quantum mechanics with special relativity. The idea was further developed by physicists such as Wolfgang Pauli and Enrico Fermi and was experimentally confirmed in the 1930s.

3. What is the significance of spin 1/2 in quantum field theory?

Spin 1/2 particles have a special significance in quantum field theory because they follow the laws of quantum mechanics and are also affected by the principles of special relativity. They are essential building blocks in our understanding of subatomic particles and their interactions.

4. How does spin 1/2 affect the behavior of particles?

The spin of a particle affects its behavior in many ways. It determines how the particle interacts with other particles and fields, as well as its stability and decay. It also plays a crucial role in determining the particle's intrinsic properties, such as its mass and charge.

5. Can spin 1/2 particles have different orientations?

Yes, spin 1/2 particles can have different orientations, also known as spin states. These spin states are described by quantum numbers and can affect the particle's behavior and interactions. The concept of spin states is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum field theory.