Origin of Religion: Understanding the Difference from Physics

In summary, the conversation was about the origin of religion and the argument that the early humans who speculated about natural phenomena were engaging in philosophy and science. It was pointed out that religion did not develop until they believed in a mystical guiding force. However, there was a counterargument that questioned the difference between this belief and our understanding of laws of physics. The response suggested that science is an ongoing process and rejected the idea of a "god of the gaps" fallacy. The conversation was ultimately closed due to the topic being outside the scope of the forum's guidelines.
Chiclayo guy
I am involved in a discussion about the origin of religion. I made the statement that the very early humans who were speculating about the causes of things that frightened them and that they did not understand (wind, thunder, earthquakes) were engaged in philosophy and science. Their exercise did not become religion until those early humans concluded that the cause(s) were some mystical guiding force.

One response was that there are laws of physics we don’t understand (gravity, electromagnetism, quarks,) so what is the difference between them and a god of thunder?

I am struggling to come up with a sensible response to this argument. I’d appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tell them that we understand electromagnetism, quarks, and gravity very well. Science is an ongoing process. Otherwise, they are commiting a god of the gaps fallacy.

Likes russ_watters
IBTL

First, this is a good example of why we don't allow philosophy here. While this is not philosophy, it suffers from the same problem - rejecting all the scholarly work out there by "it seems to me".

Second, the origins of religion are still a subject of investigation. One of the reasons is that religion appeared on the scene millennia before writing. However, virtually (and I am only using that word to cover my butt) no scholar holds to your theory. It is virtually (that word again) universally acknowledged that ritual and individual experience (e.g. spirit-walking) predated any sort of theology, again, by millennia. You will find this in virtually (third time's the charm) introductory text on the anthropology of religion.

Likes Buzz Bloom

1. What is the difference between the origin of religion and the origin of physics?

The origin of religion refers to the development and formation of religious beliefs, practices, and traditions among humans. It is a complex and multifaceted phenomenon that has been studied by various disciplines, including anthropology, psychology, and sociology. On the other hand, the origin of physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world and the universe. It involves the use of mathematical and scientific methods to understand and explain natural phenomena.

2. How does the origin of religion impact society?

The origin of religion has a significant impact on society as it influences people's beliefs, values, and behaviors. It provides a sense of meaning and purpose and helps individuals cope with existential questions. Religion also plays a critical role in shaping social norms, customs, and traditions, as well as political and economic systems. It can bring people together and create a sense of community, but it can also be a source of conflict and division.

3. Can the origin of religion be explained by science?

The origin of religion is a complex and multifaceted phenomenon that cannot be fully explained by science alone. While scientific theories and evidence can provide insights into the development of religious beliefs and practices, they cannot fully capture the cultural, social, and psychological factors that contribute to the origin of religion. Additionally, science and religion are often viewed as separate domains with different methodologies and approaches.

4. How has the origin of religion evolved over time?

The origin of religion has evolved over time, with different cultures and societies developing their own unique religious beliefs and practices. Early forms of religion were often based on animism and ancestor worship, while later religions such as Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam emerged and spread globally. With the rise of scientific and secular thinking, the role and influence of religion in society have also changed.

5. What are some current theories about the origin of religion?

There are various theories about the origin of religion, including the psychological, sociological, and evolutionary perspectives. The psychological perspective suggests that religion is a product of human cognitive processes and serves as a way to satisfy psychological needs. The sociological perspective focuses on the social functions of religion, such as creating and maintaining social order. The evolutionary perspective proposes that religion evolved as a survival mechanism, promoting cooperation and group cohesion.