Orientation-preserving isometry of R^n

• MHB
  • Thread starter kalish1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isometry
In summary, an orientation-preserving isometry of $R^n$ is an isometry that preserves distance and can be written as a composition of a translation and an element of the special orthogonal group. It is characterized by having a linear part with determinant $1$ and can be realized as the kernel of a group homomorphism $\sigma:M_n \rightarrow \pm 1$.
kalish1
Orientation-preserving isometry

I am preparing for an exam, and would like to have a rigorous definition of the following:

**Orientation-preserving isometry of $R^n$**

I know that it is something like the following (feel free to correct my wording):

When the homomorphism $\pi:M_n \rightarrow O_n$ is applied to the unique representation $t_a\phi$ of an isometry $f$, and $\pi(f)=\phi$, define $\sigma:M_n \rightarrow \pm 1$. This map that sends an **isometry of $R^n$** to $1$ is **orientation-preserving**.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little baffled by what you mean, here. What is $M_n$?

As I understand it, any isometry is composed of a "translational part", and a "linear part".

Translation does not affect orientation, and is irrelevant, here. Because isometries preserve distances, it is clear to see the linear part is an orthogonal transformation. Thus the linear part has determinant $\pm 1$. The isometries whose linear parts have determinant 1 ("proper rotations") are the orientation-preserving isometries.

Now, it may be what you are saying is the same as what I am if:

$\sigma = \det \circ \pi$, where $\pi$ is the canonical (group) surjection of the quotient of the isometry group by the normal translational subgroup.

Another way to say this is: an isometry is orentation-preserving if it can be written as a composition of a translation and an element of the special orthogonal group.

Because $\sigma$ (as I have defined it) is a composition of group homomorphisms, it is itself a group homomorphism, and the orientation-preserving isometries can be realized as its kernel.

Related to Orientation-preserving isometry of R^n

1. What is an orientation-preserving isometry of R^n?

An orientation-preserving isometry of R^n is a transformation that preserves the orientation and distance of a given space. In simpler terms, it is a function that maps one space onto another while maintaining the same shape and size.

2. What does "orientation-preserving" mean in this context?

In this context, "orientation-preserving" refers to the preservation of the ordering of points in a given space. This means that the transformation does not change the order in which points appear in the space.

3. How is an orientation-preserving isometry different from a regular isometry?

An orientation-preserving isometry preserves both the orientation and the distance of a space, while a regular isometry only preserves the distance. This means that an orientation-preserving isometry also preserves the ordering of points, while a regular isometry may change the orientation of the space.

4. What are some examples of orientation-preserving isometries?

Some examples of orientation-preserving isometries include rotations, translations, and reflections. These transformations preserve the orientation and distance of a space, while also maintaining the same shape and size.

5. Why is it important to study orientation-preserving isometries?

Studying orientation-preserving isometries is important because they have many applications in geometry, physics, and other fields of science. They help us understand the properties of a given space and how it can be transformed while preserving its structure. Additionally, orientation-preserving isometries are used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic and accurate representations of objects and spaces.