Organic Chem Drugs and Med Experiments

In summary, I am supposed to design 2 experiments for my senior year Chem class. None of the experiments I have come up with interest me and I am stuck.
Epsillon
Hi,

I am supposed to design 2 experiments for my senior year Chem class.

Right now I cannot think of anything that is interesting, relatively advanced but at the same time at a high school level (its only a design lab so I can include advanced equipments).

Topics that interest me the most:
Organic Chem
Drugs and Med

Experiments I have thought off.

Extracting caffeine from coffee:
I found information online but I could not understand the chemistry behind it.

Doing experiment with pills dissolving:
Thought about it a bit not a very practical or useful experiment

Now I am stuck and need ideas that I can expand on.

Thanks in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

If you are interested in purifying cool organic substances from somewhat ordinary material, there is a great protocol online for purifying the active ingredient of catnip. The protocol is a very entertaining read that also tries to explain the importance of each step (and could even help you understand the extraction of caffeine since it uses some of the same techniques).

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Kitty-Crack:--ultra-potent-catnip-extract/

Epsillon said:
Doing experiment with pills dissolving:
Thought about it a bit not a very practical or useful experiment

Quite the opposite, speed at which pills dissolve is one of the most important factors responsible for speed at which medication is adsorbed. Think about all these 'retartded' drugs that work for 12 hours, or all these drugs that dissolve not in stomach but in intestines. There is very interesting and clever chemistry behind these ideas.

Ya but I don't think I could explain the chemistry at a high school level.

At least some for sure. Besides, you don't HAVE to limit yourself to the chemistry you know, you can always learn something new.

Ya I talked to my teacher and apparently all the experiments talked about here are not really the type of experiments we need since there are no relationships or something being figured out.

Related to Organic Chem Drugs and Med Experiments

1. What is the difference between organic and inorganic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is the study of compounds containing carbon, while inorganic chemistry deals with compounds that do not contain carbon. Organic compounds are typically found in living organisms, while inorganic compounds are found in non-living things.

2. How are organic compounds used in drug development?

Organic compounds are used in drug development because they have the ability to interact with biological systems. They can be synthesized in a laboratory and tested for their effectiveness in treating a particular disease or condition.

3. What is the process of drug development in organic chemistry?

The process of drug development in organic chemistry involves identifying a target molecule or biological pathway, synthesizing potential compounds, and testing them for their effectiveness and safety. This is followed by further optimization and testing in clinical trials before the drug can be approved for use.

4. How are organic compounds tested for their safety and efficacy?

Organic compounds are tested in various ways to determine their safety and efficacy. This can include in vitro testing in a laboratory setting, as well as in vivo testing in animal models. Eventually, clinical trials in humans are conducted to further evaluate the compound's safety and efficacy.

5. What ethical considerations are involved in organic chem drug and med experiments?

Ethical considerations in organic chem drug and med experiments include informed consent from participants, minimizing harm and risks to participants, and ensuring the privacy and confidentiality of participants' information. There are also regulations and guidelines in place to ensure the ethical conduct of these experiments.