Organ Donation Discussion: Views, Refusals, and Opt-Out Systems

In summary: Daniel.I would donate any usable organs, as long as the individual has the right to choose otherwise.
As someone who is not religious, I identify my body with who I am. Therefore it is rather disturbing for me to imagine parts of me "living" in someone else. It flat out bothers me! Who wants to have part of you living inside someone else? Well...not me!

When I die, I want the whole package to go into the fireplace :cool:

(Sorry I can't be of more use to some organ-needy people of the future.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, singleton:
Do you go about shedding tears for lost dandruff?

People who aren't willing to donate organs should also not be allowed to receive organs. That would be a good system to implement.

arildno said:
Ok, singleton:
Do you go about shedding tears for lost dandruff?

Certainly not.

I would think a piece of dead skin is quite different than a life sustaining organ that was with me from the beginning of my existence, don't you?

This is just how I feel. It is neither wrong nor right.

I'm not asking for organs and I'm not giving any! :devil:

Last edited:
juvenal said:
People who aren't willing to donate organs should also not be allowed to receive organs. That would be a good system to implement.

I wish I'd thought of that!

Fantastic idea. Is this system implemented anywhere in the world? When I set up my country, we'll use these rules. (Juvenal Protocol, I believe).

brewnog said:
I wish I'd thought of that!

Fantastic idea. Is this system implemented anywhere in the world? When I set up my country, we'll use these rules. (Juvenal Protocol, I believe).

Thanks. Don't need to name it after me, though. I'll just be happy you implemented it.

What about those crazy conspiracy theories that people will secretly assassinate you if you are an organ donor to take care of shortages :eek:?

motai said:
What about those crazy conspiracy theories that people will secretly assassinate you if you are an organ donor to take care of shortages :eek:?

What do you mean by assassination?

If you're not talking about doctor-assisted assassination, then well, someone with the means of assassinating you probably has the means to fake your organ donor information.

juvenal said:
What do you mean by assassination?

If you're not talking about doctor-assisted assassination, then well, someone with the means of assassinating you probably has the means to fake your organ donor information.

The government/third party/neo-elitist serpentine society people, the same bad guys in every other conspiracy theory.

motai said:
The government/third party/neo-elitist serpentine society people, the same bad guys in every other conspiracy theory.

If there wasn't an X-files episode on this, then it doesn't exist in real life.

I'm an organ donor, and am listed as such on my driver's licence. I know for a fact that my family won't prevent the doctors from taking whatever organs they need if I die, as they are all donors too. :)

I find being incinerated or eaten by maggots less appealing than donating organs.

Moonbear, my father's ashes were given to my mother. (or what were supposedly his ashes, I have my doubts that they were so careful :rolleyes: ) I think he donated his body to Baylor, but I'm not positive. I don't think my dad had too many reusable organs at the time he died (it was a very long time ago, not many transplant options back then).

It really is nice to see how many people here are donors. :approve:

Evo said:
I find being incinerated or eaten by maggots less appealing than donating organs.
And, at least to me, getting my brain sucked out through my nose and being replaced by embalming fluid doesn't hold much appeal either.

Evo said:

Very good point. Who knows? Some grave robbers may even steal your body and do unspeakable things to it.

juvenal said:
Very good point. Who knows? Some grave robbers may even steal your body and do unspeakable things to it.
In the 18th century, grave-robbers worked on comission for the hospitals in England to procure anatomical specimens (unofficially, that is).
I doubt if the grave-robbers today work towards the progress of science..

Last edited:
juvenal said:

At least once in a lifetime he is going to be usefull to society in one way or another. :wink:

I am a registered organ donor with with the note on my driver's liscence etc. and I fully support organ donation in the case that I am dead. However, one thing that bothers me about organ donation is that in several states, whether you are an organ donor or not can influence whether you are medically dead in x circumstance. Sometimes because of the need to use organs quickly after death, they are laxer with their description of brain death specifically in some states.

That really bothers me, especailly as the brain is not a well understood organ and some people have been declared brain dead and then suddenly experienced some revival later. Whether you are a donor or not should not matter to doctors at all until you are legally dead.

~Lyoukdea

Evo said:
It really is nice to see how many people here are donors. :approve:

Wellll, not yet they're not!

I wonder how many people who have said they'll be an organ donor actually donate blood? (Or bone marrow?)

brewnog said:
Wellll, not yet they're not!

I wonder how many people who have said they'll be an organ donor actually donate blood? (Or bone marrow?)

Well, i won't donate an organ, but i will donate blood. I'd even donate a kidney as long as I'm living when i give it up. If I'm alive and there are bits of me alive somewhere else, that's different than being dead and bits of me living still. Death is death and when I'm dead i shouldn't have pieces of me still living. I also wouldn't want anyone elses organs for the same reasons. But i don't think it'd be right to not allow them to receive donations. I think people who won't donate organs should opt not to take them, as i would, because it'd be hyppocritcal. I think perhaps doners should just receive priority, but then non-doners could still receive them as well.

Gale17: so if you donated a kidney while alive and that person was still living when you died that part of you would "go on living" so what's the difference?
As for blood donation, I'd like to do it but I don't weigh enough to do so, sigh. I plan to once I stop being so scrawny, however.

Andromeda321 said:
Gale17: so if you donated a kidney while alive and that person was still living when you died that part of you would "go on living" so what's the difference?
As for blood donation, I'd like to do it but I don't weigh enough to do so, sigh. I plan to once I stop being so scrawny, however.

i guess its sort of an obscure idea, but i guess my kidney would have time to adjust to the new body, and it would become less mine, and more that persons. secondly, i would likely only give my kidney if it was someone i knew, or if i was asked or something. I'd hopefully know who i was giving it to. third, i guess if i donated after i became deceased it'd be sort of like bringing my kidney back from the dead. My kidney would have gone through the shock of death and i just don't think its right to revive it in a foreign place.

mattmns said:
So Moonbear, how does one donate their brain?
in your case, call Microsoft

What an excellent idea! I'm having this whimpy attitude against blood donation (I faint or puke on the sight of a needle in me), so by signing up for organ donation I can feel useful AND not ill. :approve:

If they ever get that cryogenics business figured out I'm no longer donating my body to anyone. Freeze me and wake me up when I can be immortal.

Gale17 said:
Well, i won't donate an organ, but i will donate blood.

That wasn't the question. DO you donate blood?

tribdog said:
If they ever get that cryogenics business figured out I'm no longer donating my body to anyone. Freeze me and wake me up when I can be immortal.

Find me a taxidermist, I want to be stuffed.

I would never donate any organs,while dead,because i hate the thought that my body could be taken advantage of while i can't fight it...

Daniel.

P.S.Of course,alive+girlfriend+handcuffs is a reasonable exception.