Oregon gets blasted by lightning

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lightning
In summary: I'm not sure what time the lightning started, but it ran almost continuously for quite long time; I would say at least an hour of intense activity. I was trying to conference call but couldn't hear the conversation at times because of the non-stop noise.In summary, the thunder and lightning was very loud and lasted for a long time. The weather was coming from the SE, which is somewhat unusual, and it may be that we saw what Eastern Oregon [the other side of the mountains] normally sees. I'm not sure what time the lightning started, but it ran almost continuously for quite long time; I would say at least an hour of intense activity. There was also a storm yesterday, and one local hospital was hit
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This afternoon we had about as strong of a lightning storm as I've seen in the twenty years that we've been here. The weather was coming from the SE, which is somewhat unusual, and it may be that we saw what Eastern Oregon [the other side of the mountains] normally sees. I'm not sure what time the lightning started, but it ran almost continuously for quite long time; I would say at least an hour of intense activity. I was trying to conference call but couldn't hear the conversation at times because of the non-stop noise.

I saw where a kid was hit by lightning in Portland. Apparently he will be okay but was in serious condition. They are saying that Portland has had at least several hundred strikes.

Physics news on Phys.org
It must be global warming.

- Warren

I saw the Doppler just a few minutes ago on the evening news...wow, it looked like a fantastic storm!

Om...are you OK?

If you kill a butterfly in China then it's going to rain in Oregon two months later.

waht said:
If you kill a butterfly in China then it's going to rain in Oregon two months later.

Well someone must have massacred a whole species at the start of spring!

lisab said:
I saw the Doppler just a few minutes ago on the evening news...wow, it looked like a fantastic storm!

It was! I only wish I could have stopped to enjoy it.

The down side is that I do worry about active storms directly over us. We have some of the tallest trees in the area - one old growth tree is at least 180 feet tall. We had a storm yesterday as well, and I think there was a hit near my office. I saw the flash from the house, and based on delay between the flash and the sound, it couldn't have been more than a 1000 feet away. My office is about 500 feet away from that point and in the same direction. I then noticed that my retransmitter for the Direct TV wasn't working and we don't have any TV up in the house. :mad: There goes $300. [it is a long story, by I have to retransmit the DTV from the office up to the house using a spendy little device developed for NASA]

Reminds me of a freak thing that happened several years ago. We had several consecutive nights of the loudest thunder ever recorded here. No one could sleep and it was on the news that the general population was effected from lack of sleep and violent crime and domestic violence had greatly increased. Everyone looked frazzled. Never seen anything like it

Cripes, that reminds me. When the storm hit yesterday, at least one local hospital was hit with a flood of asthma patients. One worker guessed that perhaps thirty people came in within a very short period of time. She had never seen anything like it before.

Weird.

If the storm and prevailing winds were coming from an unusual direction, perhaps pollutants that are not normally in the area got blown in (i.e., from CA) and aggravated people's asthma more than usual.

Moonbear said:
If the storm and prevailing winds were coming from an unusual direction, perhaps pollutants that are not normally in the area got blown in (i.e., from CA) and aggravated people's asthma more than usual.

Yeah, it may have come from here. We had a whole bunch of lightning just the other night and it flew right past, gone in about an hour or two.

Moonbear said:

Good point! To the SE we have a large set of mountains with the flora in full bloom. I don't know the statistics, but I'm quite sure this is a relatively rare weather pattern. We get weather from the NW, SW, W, N, or NE, but almost never the SE.

Related to Oregon gets blasted by lightning

1. What causes lightning strikes in Oregon?

Lightning strikes in Oregon are typically caused by thunderstorms that develop in the region. These storms are often characterized by strong updrafts and unstable atmospheric conditions, which can lead to the buildup of electrical charges and the subsequent discharge of lightning bolts.

2. How common are lightning strikes in Oregon?

Lightning strikes are relatively common in Oregon, especially during the summer months when thunderstorms are more prevalent. On average, the state experiences around 500,000 cloud-to-ground lightning strikes per year.

3. Is Oregon more prone to lightning strikes compared to other states?

While Oregon does experience a significant number of lightning strikes, it is not considered to be one of the most lightning-prone states in the US. States like Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma typically see much higher frequencies of lightning activity.

4. What are the potential dangers of lightning strikes in Oregon?

Lightning strikes can be extremely dangerous, causing injuries and even fatalities in some cases. In addition to the direct impact of a strike, lightning can also start wildfires, damage electrical systems, and disrupt communication and transportation networks.

5. How can people stay safe during a lightning storm in Oregon?

To stay safe during a lightning storm in Oregon, it is important to seek shelter in a sturdy building or vehicle. Avoid open areas, tall objects, and bodies of water. If you are caught in an open area, crouch down low with your feet together and cover your ears for added protection. It is also important to wait at least 30 minutes after the last observed lightning strike before resuming outdoor activities.