Ordinary Differential Equations (ODE) Problem

In summary, Mark Brewer understands that all of these "Ordinary Differential Equation" problems he has posted are just integration problems in disguise.
Mark Brewer

Homework Statement

dy/dx + 2sin2pix = 0 -------Answer: y = 1/pi cos2pix + c

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I made several attempts but no success to the correct answer. The first step I made was subtracting 2sin2pix to both sides. I then used integration by parts, and this is where I've stopped because I was confused on how might my answer be anything like the true answer. This is where I stopped: x/pi cos2pi - integral 1/pi cos2pi dx.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried differentiating the answer to see what you get?

Mark Brewer said:

Homework Statement

dy/dx + 2sin2pix = 0 -------Answer: y = 1/pi cos2pix + c

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I made several attempts but no success to the correct answer. The first step I made was subtracting 2sin2pix to both sides. I then used integration by parts, and this is where I've stopped because I was confused on how might my answer be anything like the true answer. This is where I stopped: x/pi cos2pi - integral 1/pi cos2pi dx.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Instead of using integration by parts, is there another method we can use, such as letting ## u = 2\pi{x} ##, then getting your integral with respect to ##du## instead of ##dx##?

EDIT: Bonus question: Can you spot the flaw with using integration by parts for this integral, and why it will not yield anything useful?

Last edited:
Mark: If you had to integrate sinθ dθ, would you integrate by parts?

Chet

Thank you for the replies.

Chestermiller, I would not use integration by parts. I would simply integrate.

Kilgour22, thank you for the hint. I didn't think about using 2πx in u-substitution. I figured that was attached to the sine function.

I really appreciate all your help. I hope this wasn't a hassle. I do plan on using this forum throughout my undergraduate.

Cheers,

Mark

Likes Kilgour22, Chestermiller and Greg Bernhardt
Dear Mark. Take 2sin2pix to the other side so it will become like this:
dy/dx=-2sin2pix. then multiply both sides to dx, it will become like this:
dy=-2sin2pix(dx). Now just a simple integration will do the job for you.
u just need to use u=2pix, then create du and the rest is easy for u I'm sure.
cheers

Likes Mark Brewer
Mark Brewer said:
Thank you for the replies.

Chestermiller, I would not use integration by parts. I would simply integrate.

Kilgour22, thank you for the hint. I didn't think about using 2πx in u-substitution. I figured that was attached to the sine function.

I really appreciate all your help. I hope this wasn't a hassle. I do plan on using this forum throughout my undergraduate.

Cheers,

Mark

No worries! It just takes practice, and eventually you'll become so familiar with integration that the answer to such problems will be solvable in your head rather easily. :)

Likes Mark Brewer
I've got another ODE problem.

dy/dx = 4e-xcosx

I've divided dx to both sides, and now have dy = 4e-xcosx dx
I've then started to use intergration by parts to the right side with u = 4e-x and dv = cosx dx
Leaving y = 4e-xsinx - ∫ -4e-xsinx dx
Once again I used intergration by parts with u = -4e-x and dv = sinx dx
Leaving y = 4e-xsinx - (4e-xcosx - ∫ -4e-xcosx dx)
I know that I don't need to integrate again, so my final answer is 4e-x(sinx - cosx) + c

The correct answer is 2e-x(sinx - cosx) + c

Where am I missing division by 2?

Cheers,

Mark

Typically for these simple cases, if you can isolate the different dependent variables on on side do it. Then if you can also keep the indipendent variables with there similar dependent variables do so.

ie dy/dx-e^x=0
dy/dx= -e^x

then multiply the dx on both sides of the equation.

dy=-e^x(dx)

integrate both sides with respectively for dy and dx

y=-e^x +c

This work for simpler cases.

Mark Brewer, you understand that all of these "Ordinary Differential Equation" problems you have posted are just integration problems in disguise, don't you?

Related to Ordinary Differential Equations (ODE) Problem

What is an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to model dynamic systems, such as physical phenomena or biological processes, where the rate of change of a variable depends on its current value.

What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation?

The main difference between an ordinary differential equation (ODE) and a partial differential equation (PDE) is that an ODE involves only one independent variable, while a PDE involves multiple independent variables. ODEs are used to model single-variable systems, while PDEs are used to model multi-variable systems.

What are the methods used to solve ordinary differential equations?

There are several methods used to solve ordinary differential equations, including analytical methods (such as separation of variables and integrating factors) and numerical methods (such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods). The choice of method depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.

What are the applications of ordinary differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and predict the behavior of systems over time, such as the motion of objects, population growth, and chemical reactions.

What is the initial value problem for an ordinary differential equation?

The initial value problem for an ordinary differential equation is a specific type of ODE problem where the values of the function and its derivatives are known at a single point. This point is called the initial value, and the goal is to find the function that satisfies the given equation and initial conditions. This type of problem is commonly used in real-world applications.