Ordinary and partial differential equations

In summary, a person is looking for a textbook with a solution manual to help them learn differential equations on their own. Another person recommends a website with videos and suggests books for beginners and advanced learners. They also suggest finding solutions on the internet or asking for help in a forum.
GangsterWaffle
Hi,

I'm attempting to learn differential equations on my own. Does anyone recommended a textbook that comes with/has a solution manual? I learn faster when I can see a problem worked out if I can't solve it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there is a website called mathispower4u.com with a large collection of short videos on differential equations that should help you along. The videos present and solve a problem allowing you to pause while you try to do it.

http://www.mathispower4u.com/diff-eq.php

I think you can find a solution manual for Dennis G Zill's book on internet.

But for beginners GF Simmons Differential Equations with Historical Notes or Tenenbaum Pollard is a very good choice.
Coddington Levinson is an advanced level book.

You can try to find the solution of individual problems on internet or alternatively post the problems in this forum.

Thank you

Related to Ordinary and partial differential equations

1. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations also have a single solution, while partial differential equations can have multiple solutions.

2. What are some real-world applications of ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary and partial differential equations are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Examples of applications include modeling population growth, predicting the spread of diseases, and analyzing heat transfer in materials.

3. How do you solve ordinary and partial differential equations?

Solving ordinary differential equations involves finding a function that satisfies the given equation. This can often be done analytically using techniques such as separation of variables or integrating factors. Partial differential equations, on the other hand, often require numerical methods to approximate solutions.

4. Are there any limitations to using ordinary and partial differential equations?

While differential equations are powerful tools for modeling and analyzing various phenomena, they do have limitations. For example, some systems may be too complex to accurately model with ordinary or partial differential equations. Additionally, the assumptions made in creating the equations may not always hold true in real-world situations.

5. How do ordinary and partial differential equations relate to calculus?

Calculus is the mathematical foundation for differential equations. Ordinary differential equations involve derivatives, while partial differential equations involve partial derivatives. Understanding calculus is crucial for solving and interpreting differential equations.