Orders of elements in a group.

In summary, for G15, the elements are {1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 11, 13, 14} and the order of each element can be found by multiplying the number with itself until it equals 1 (mod 15). The orders of the elements are: 1 has order 1, 2 has order 4, 4 has order 2, 7 has order 4, 8 has order 4, 11 has order 2, 13 has order 4, and 14 has order 2. Therefore, G15 is isomorphic to the cyclic group of order 8.
tamintl
1. Homework Statement
Remember, the set of groups (Gn, *), the group of multiplicatively-invertible elements of Z/n under multiplication. For p a prime, the elements of Gp are all elements of Z/p except 0; for n not a prime, the elements of Gn are all the elements of Z/n except 0 and those (besides 1) which divide n and all multiples of those elements.

a) Consider G15. What are the elements of G15, and what is the order of each elements? What group is G15 isomorphic to?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part, What are the elements of G15:

I think what the statement at the top is trying to tell me is that it is all of the elements of Z/15 except for 0 and the elements that divide 15 (besides 1) and the elements that are multiples of those elements.

So if that logic is correct I come up with the group: G15 = {1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 11, 13, 14}

Next it asks for the order of each element, this is where I am a little confused.

1 has order ?
2 has order ?
4 has order ?
7 has order ..
8 has order ..
11 has order..
13 has order..
14 has order ..

I have literally no idea how to find the orders of each element. Is there a systematic way?

Please shed some light

Regards tamintl

Physics news on Phys.org
Simply multiply the number with itself, until you get 1 (mod 15). The number of times you had to multiply is the order.

Let me do two examples, I'll let you do the rest:
- 1 has order 1, this is by definition. So let's do something more interesting:
- 2. Multiply by 2, we get 4. Multiply by 2, we get 8. Multiply by 2 we get 16=1 (mod 15). Thus 24=1, and thus 4 is the order.

Related to Orders of elements in a group.

What is the order of an element in a group?

The order of an element in a group is the number of times the element must be multiplied by itself to get the identity element (usually denoted as e). It is also the smallest positive integer n such that a^n = e, where a is the element in question.

How is the order of an element related to the order of the group?

The order of an element is always a divisor of the order of the group. This means that the order of an element cannot be greater than the order of the group.

Can an element have multiple orders in a group?

No, an element can only have one order in a group. This is because the order of an element is defined as the smallest positive integer that satisfies a^n = e, so there can only be one such integer.

What is the significance of the order of an element in a group?

The order of an element is significant because it determines the structure of the group. For example, if the order of a group is prime, then the group is considered to be a cyclic group, meaning that it can be generated by a single element. Additionally, the order of an element can give information about the subgroups of a group.

How can the order of an element be used in solving problems involving groups?

The order of an element can be used to determine if two elements are equal or if they have any common factors. It can also be used to find the inverse of an element in a group. Additionally, the order of an element can be used in proving theorems and solving equations within a group.