Ordered Pairs in Relation A to B

• Thread starter bird34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the relation R from A = {1, 2, 3, 5} to B = {2, 4, 6, 9} includes ordered pairs where (i) x ≥ y, (ii) x – y < 2, (iii) x – y > 2, (iv) l.c.m. (x, y) = 18, and (v) g.c.d. (x, y) = 3. To find the ordered pairs that meet these criteria, one must consider each individual restriction and determine which pairs satisfy them. For example, for (ii), the ordered pairs include (
bird34

Homework Statement

List the ordered pairs in the relation R from A = {1, 2, 3, 5} to B = {2, 4, 6, 9} where <x, y> is an element of R iff:

(i) x ≥ y
(ii) x – y < 2
(iii) x – y > 2
(iv) l.c.m. (x, y) = 18
(v) g.c.d. (x, y) = 3

I understand in general ordered pairs and cartesian products, but I'm not sure where to begin when there are limitations such as these.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi bird34! welcome to pf! :wink:

(you understand they're alternatives?)

what's the difficulty?

eg for (ii), R = {(5,9),(5,6),(5,4)…}

I guess maybe I don't understand after all. I get where the numbers came from for (ii), but what about the others ones? I'm lost and need an explanation. Thanks!

for (ii), R is the set of all ordered pairs (x,y) such that x - y < 2

so eg 5 - 4 < 2, so (5,4) is in

but 5 - 2 =3, so (5,2) is out :wink:

Ok, so for (iii), the answer would only be {5,2}?

And for (i) it would be R = {2,2}, {3,2}, {5,2}, {5,4}?

If so, I feel like an idiot for overlooking the simplicity in this!
By the way, do you know anything about a digraph?

bird34 said:
And for (i) it would be R = {2,2}, {3,2}, {5,2}, {5,4}?

yup! :biggrin:
By the way, do you know anything about a digraph?

no, we never did them
bird34 said:
Ok, so for (iii), the answer would only be {5,2}?

well, that's the only one with x = 5

Related to Ordered Pairs in Relation A to B

1. What are ordered pairs in relation A to B?

Ordered pairs in relation A to B are a way of representing the relationship between two sets of numbers, where the first number in the pair represents the value of A and the second number represents the value of B. They are commonly used in mathematics and science to plot points on a graph.

2. How are ordered pairs written?

Ordered pairs are written in the form (a, b), where a represents the value of A and b represents the value of B. The two values are separated by a comma and placed inside parentheses.

3. What is the order of an ordered pair?

The order of an ordered pair is important because it determines which value represents A and which value represents B. The first number in the pair is always the value of A, while the second number is always the value of B.

4. How are ordered pairs used in real-world applications?

Ordered pairs are used in real-world applications to represent relationships and make predictions. For example, in science, they can be used to plot data points on a graph to show the relationship between two variables. In finance, they can be used to represent the relationship between risk and return for different investment options.

5. What is the difference between an ordered pair and a coordinate?

An ordered pair and a coordinate are essentially the same thing - a set of two numbers representing a point on a graph. The only difference is that an ordered pair is written in the form (a, b) while a coordinate is written as a single number with a comma separating the two values, such as (a, b). However, the terms are often used interchangeably.