Order of variables in a Jacobian?

In summary, the order of variables in a Jacobian should be formulated as -J[(F,G)/(y,u)]/J[(F,G)/(v,u)] or -J[(F,G)/(u,y)]/J[(F,G)/(u,v)], with the absolute value of the determinant of the Jacobian matrix being what's usually important. One can always get the Jacobian from first principles by fixing y and letting x change, and the formulas for u_x and v_x can be obtained by swapping, changing the sign, and dividing by the determinant.
peripatein
Hi,

Homework Statement

I was hoping someone could please explain the order of variables in a Jacobian. I mean, once the dependent and independent variables have been identified, how should the Jacobian be formulated. For instance, supposing I have two implicit functions F(x,y,u,v) and G(x,y,u,v) where x and y are independent. I wish to find ∂u/∂y (x is fixed) and ∂v/∂y (x is fixed). How should the Jacobian be formulated, namely -J[(F,G)/(y,u)]/J[(F,G)/(v,u)] or -J[(F,G)/(u,y)]/J[(F,G)/(u,v)]? I happen to know the former formulation is the correct one, but why?! How could I have known and initially written it in that form?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider two functions ##f## and ##g## of two variables y and x.
I always form my Jacobian like
$$
\mathcal{J} = \begin{pmatrix}
f_x & f_y\\
g_x & g_y
\end{pmatrix}
$$
However, I believe in some books it has my rows as columns.

What's usually important is the absolute value of the determinant of the jacobian matrix. In which case none of these variations matter.

peripatein said:
Hi,

Homework Statement

I was hoping someone could please explain the order of variables in a Jacobian. I mean, once the dependent and independent variables have been identified, how should the Jacobian be formulated. For instance, supposing I have two implicit functions F(x,y,u,v) and G(x,y,u,v) where x and y are independent. I wish to find ∂u/∂y (x is fixed) and ∂v/∂y (x is fixed). How should the Jacobian be formulated, namely -J[(F,G)/(y,u)]/J[(F,G)/(v,u)] or -J[(F,G)/(u,y)]/J[(F,G)/(u,v)]? I happen to know the former formulation is the correct one, but why?! How could I have known and initially written it in that form?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You can always get it from first principles (and doing this once in your life is a useful exercise). If we fix y and let x change by Δx = h, then we have:
[tex] F(x+h,y,u + \Delta u, v + \Delta v) = 0 = F(x,y,u,v) + F_x h + F_u \Delta u + F_v \Delta v \\
G(x+h,y,u + \Delta u, v + \Delta v) = 0 = G(x,y,u,v) + G_x h + G_u \Delta u + G_v \Delta v[/tex]
where all the partials are evaluated at the original point (x,y,u,v). Thus,
[tex] \pmatrix{ \Delta u \\ \Delta v} =
- \pmatrix{F_u & F_v\\G_u&G_v}^{-1}\pmatrix{F_x \\ G_x} h,[/tex]
so
[tex] \pmatrix{\partial u/ \partial x \\ \partial v / \partial x} =
- \pmatrix{F_u & F_v\\G_u&G_v}^{-1}\pmatrix{F_x \\ G_x}.[/tex]
For a 2x2 matrix we get the inverse by swapping the diagonal elements, changing the sign of the off-diagonal elements and dividing by the determinant:
[tex] \pmatrix{a & b \\ c & d }^{-1} = \frac{1}{ad-bc} \pmatrix{d & -b \\ -c & a},[/tex] so you can get explicit formulas for u_x and v_x.

Related to Order of variables in a Jacobian?

1. What is the purpose of a Jacobian in mathematics?

The Jacobian is a mathematical tool used to understand the rate of change of multiple variables in a system. It is particularly useful in solving systems of equations and determining the behavior of a system over time.

2. What is the significance of the order of variables in a Jacobian?

The order of variables in a Jacobian is crucial as it determines the arrangement of the partial derivatives in the matrix. This, in turn, affects the interpretation and calculation of the Jacobian determinant, which is used to determine the behavior of the system.

3. How does the order of variables affect the Jacobian determinant?

The order of variables affects the Jacobian determinant as it determines the arrangement of the partial derivatives in the matrix. If the order is changed, the resulting Jacobian determinant will also change, which can have a significant impact on the interpretation of the system's behavior.

4. Can the order of variables in a Jacobian be changed?

Yes, the order of variables in a Jacobian can be changed. This can be done by rearranging the partial derivatives in the matrix. However, it is important to note that this can alter the interpretation of the system and the resulting Jacobian determinant.

5. What is the best approach for determining the order of variables in a Jacobian?

The best approach for determining the order of variables in a Jacobian depends on the specific problem and variables involved. In some cases, it may be intuitive or specified in the problem, while in others, it may require careful consideration and analysis to determine the most appropriate order to accurately represent the system.